Gravely 260Z deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 026TB4U, Jan 19, 2005.

1. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

I just saw a used 2002 260Z with a 25 Kawasaki. It has only 74 hours on it.

The only damage was some paint scraped off the deck side.

They're asking $6000.

Is this a good deal? I'm a hesitant because it's out of warranty. I was also looking at a 2003 Ferris IS3000ZX that I posted in another thread that has a full warranty but $1000 more.

Whatcha think?
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I paid $8000 out the door for my 2004 PM 260. For just $2000 less I would get a new one.

The 02 is a lot slower. Top speed is 9mph top cutting speed is 6.
    the 04 is a lot faster. Top speed 13 mph top cutting speed 8-9.

Mine has 27 HP and the huge canister air cleaner, the hydro deck adjuster and the suspension seat. I can't remember but I don't think the 02 has any of that.

The seat alone is worth $4-500 and boy does it make a difference.

Lastly how do you know for sure it only has 74 hours. Buying and installing an new hour meter isn't exactly difficult.
  3. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

I hear you.

It's at a dealer and they say they originally sold it to the owner in October '02. It was used as a rediential mower on a residence with some acreage. They got divorced and now it's for sale.

Why is the '02 so much slower? It does have the suspension seat, hydro deck, and I believe the canister filter.

I'm not a big fan of buying used and less a fan of buying out of warranty, but this seemed like a nice machine. It doesn't show a lot of wear like in a machine with high hours. It was dirty but showed no wear on the pedals, footwells, etc..
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

it is so much slower because of having smaller hydro pumps. Have a drag race contest with a 2004 or 2005 at the dealer. I did that to my dealer when he wanted to sell me a left over 2003 at $750 discount.

He said, oh they are the same. We raced and he shut right up. "Oh, I didn't think it would make any real difference." In 200 feet I beat him by at least 30.

My biggest concern would be the spindles. They are no greaseable and with the warranty dead, who know who long they will last. Not a huge deal to fix, but not so cheap. You should be able to get a great price on on this time of year if he has any left over 2004 models.

Besides in 02 that sold for about $7200 MSRP. I would think $5000 would be top end on that. I have 120 hours on mine, and NO WAY I could get more than $6500 for it. I would negotiate more and / or check out some other dealers.
  5. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked.
  6. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

BTW, the model number is 992029 if that makes a difference.

How can you tell what year a Gravely is? Is it in the model number or serial number?
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't shed too many $ for a "like new" Gravely....get a good discount because you won't get a warranty.
  8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

$6000 for that machine is way to high. Its not worth more than $5000. Just spend the extra money for the Ferris and you will not be dissapointed.