Gravely 260Z Diesel or EFI

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Sep 14, 2005.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thinking about selling my 260Z and getting either the 260Z with the diesel or the EFI engine. Gravely's website doesn't list the 28 Kohler EFI for the 260Z, but it does on the PDF file you can download.

First off, does anyone know for sure if you can still get the 28 EFI on the 260Z? Will it be offered next year?

Sense it's not listed on their site, I can't get a good idea of the cost between the diesel and EFI, but I'm guessing the EFI would be a little less, but not much. Which would you guys recommend? I'm looking for more power and better fuel efficiency. I'm going to be trying mulching next year on one of my larger properties, and I want the extra horsepower. I would also like to upgrade to a newer machine while I could still get a fair price for mine, plus my warranty is up now. I've spend some time on an eXmark Lazer Z XS 60" deck and I love having higher horsepower. What would some pros and cons be to getting the diesel and the EFI? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We are flying to a Gravely meeting tomorrow in Hiltonhead, SC. They will hand out the new prices and products at this weekend get together. I've heard that Gravely will have rubber deflectors and Bahia style decks, similar to Grasshopper and Scag on the 260Z next year. I'll update everyone on the new models, and changes to the old models when we get back on Monday. :waving:

3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea on their website they said they are revealing new things at the GIE....

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy the EFI powered mower. The diesel engine adds too much weight and too much cost to the mower. The EFI will use fuel at about the same rate as a diesel. With diesel fuel at the same price as gasoline, I just don't see the advantage of diesel on a mower that has an available EFI engine.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Go for the diesel.
    Even the EFI engines are no match for the working power and efficiency of a 3 cyliner diesel.

I don't know about pricing in your area, but when I considered the 260Z, all models were priced within $2,000 of each other.

6. sslawn

sslawn LawnSite Member

I have both an efi and diesel 260 Z, the diesel gets about 2 times the fuel economy of the efi, the diesel is heavier but less than 100lbs, plus the little added weight makes for great stability on hills. Around here the price difference is about $1000.00.

7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

The price differance was a lot more than that when I was shopping. I demoed a 260 with the diesel about two years ago, I wasn't that impressed. As far as twice the fuel economy, I doubt it, I just tested one of my 28 efi's, about .875 gallons per hour, I doubt that the diesel does any better.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I'm talking about... and have been talking about FOREVER.
    Thanks, it's good to have someone else also tell everyone besides me.

THAT GOES FOR THE WHOLE STATEMENT.

9. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer told me that gravely will not be using the 28EFI engine. I am not sure why b/c i too wanted this option. This may change in the '06 season.

As far as the deisel - the one that i ran i loved. It was not that much heavier than my 26LC but was tons more stable up and down hills just b/c of where the weight is on the frame. It was also obviously more powerful and better fuel economy.

10. CHRIS MELROSE

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Why buy a Gravely in the first place? Before I purchased my Toro Z-500 I did my research on most all the notable brands out there. I'm just confused on how many different brands people are using out there when there are only a couple that are really worth owning. Doesn't anybody look at deck construction-7gauge?, spindles-cast iron vs. aluminum(no brainer) greasable or not(no brainer)...Lets face it guys isn't the deck the most important part? A diesel motor will still be running far after the rest of the product is worn out.