1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely 260z Long Term Report

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JMS, Aug 29, 2001.

1. JMS

JMS LawnSite Member

I have seen previous threads from Gravely 260z owners but, most have been under 500 hrs of use. Does anyone have any long term usage with these mowers? If so what is your latest thoughts?

I am looking at a new 60", 25hp Kawasaki.

2. JMS

JMS LawnSite Member

Stopped by the dealer tonight and it retails for $7799.00. Does this price sound in line with others?
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought the Kawasaki with 15 hours and haven't cut grass. The Kawi sputters and billows black smoke. The previous owner replaced plugs twice, and they are now fouled. The oil has also been fouled in 5 hours. It is at the dealer being fixed. I'm sure it is a simple problem.

The Kohler (1999) has about 1800 hours and has had no problems. Oil is changed at 300 hour intervals with Mobil1 synthetic. Has had occasional valve chatter but runs well.

The other Kohler (2000) has about 500 hours, again no problems. Oil was changed at 100 hours and again at 400 hours.

Both Kohlers experience after-run if 87 octane gas is used. On a hot day, you switch the motor off and it keeps chugging.

I like the sound of the Kohlers, they sound more robust, the Kawi sounds like a really loud electric motor.

Will update on the Kawasaki as time goes on.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, pound per pound, pennie for pennie, it seems like for the amount of machine you get for the money you pay for this unit, you can HARDLY go wrong.:cool: I have a ProMaster 300 rider, and I paid almost that much for THAT!:rolleyes: I want to keep this machine though, because even though it doesn't get used very much, it's great for certain applications like reaching in under stuff, and doing steep ditches, as I can just sit up on level ground and just reach the deck down into the ditch - just lifting the deck, backing up and quickly shifting to the side as I move along.
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

"New" with 15 hours bought from homeowner.

These machines can and do cut $6500.00 worth of grass in one month. Very nimble, easy to operate, no major repair headaches.

This one is sputtering and probably has a bad apple of a carb.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I am seeing alot of these in my area. or else I am seeing the same one very often.

according to reports we have a great gravely dealer here. but he gets his price for everything he sells, I hear.

I suppose that is why he stays in the biz.

7. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Not sure where my post went but what I had said was let me know and I will get you in touch with 1000+ hour users.

Barry Adamski
    Gravely/Ariens Engineer