Gravely 260Z vs. 04' Toro Z500

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cblackwe, Oct 10, 2003.

1. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

I am retitling my previous post. Seeking advice/ real world experiences from these two ZTRs. Going to buy one of them this winter for next seasons work. Trying to compare apples-to-apples and not get distracted w/ fluff.

Specifically, hill performance, cut quality. I have excellent dealer support for both pieces of equipment in my local area. Price seems to be similar too for the 27 Kohler/60" deck. Please tell me what you know>>>>>>>>>>>>:D :D :D :D

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Ive demoed the toro 580 series and your 2-500 will still have the new turboforce deck, cuts great, the new toro's are in the same class as the exmarks, ive cut with both and there close......Marks Mowing Service

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I owna '02 262Z 60" deck with the 25 hp carbed Kawi.
    I demoed Exmark, Scag, Lesco Viper, Kubota and Toro.
    For the money, the Gravely was the best deal. Quality of cut was about the same, some machines had features I didn't like, the Gravely had most that I did.
    I have equipped my Gravely with the closed chamber mulch kit, gator blades and the lift master jack.
    I also like the suspension seat, very comfortable, your up just a bit higher and all around visibility is better.
    The only machine I did not demo was a Walker as for my particular commercial mowings (over ten acres) it was to slow.

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A 1999, 2000, and 2001. We have Kohler and Kawasaki.

I would recommend whichever engine you prefer, but definitely get the engineaire canister air filter esp with the Kawasaki...the kawasaki filter is $20.00 + for a crappy little filter if you don't get the enginaire.

The main Gravely weakness is the spindles: they junk out after a couple years. They are "maintenance free" since they have no grease fittings, but they are not "replacement free" and they are expensive.

Also, avoid the 72" deck, the spindles are just not up to the task of handling the stresses of the bigger blades.

Ken