gravely 260z vs ferris 3000z

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by dougtrimble, Jul 4, 2004.

1. dougtrimble

dougtrimble LawnSite Member

I am considering buying a zero turn and I will be choosing between the gravely 260z or the ferris 3000z with independent suspension. Any help would be appreciated in which one to purchase. I am only interested in the quality and reliability issues in each one.

2. Hardwood Jake

Hardwood Jake LawnSite Member

I am buying a new 260z next week. As far as the gravely they have been around for a long time getting parts are realy never a issue they seem to be able to get everything real quick. As far as the 260z its a great machine. Hydrolic deck lift it works great and so easy to adjust the cut along a problem area. The deck itself has a huge discarge evenly blows grass along the way and you can stripe without the kit. The air cushion seat is fantastic and the controlls are so user freindly too.I looked at everything and after using my freinds 260z I was hooked it is such a user freindly machine. Its great on hills and leaves a nice even cut. There are so many good mowers out there but this time I'm getting a 260z.

3. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the Ferris.....rides alot better w/ the suspension....it looks to be built beefier too.....look at the engine bumper on the ferris....look at the anti scalp wheels...etc....Also, ferris has the foot operated deck lift....you can keep both hands on the controls and still lift the deck to quickly.....hydraulic is nice but I don't have the a hand to operate it while steering...
    Andrew

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have both and the Ferris is 10 times better. We have a 60" woods ztr which is basically the same as a 260 Gravely and if the grass is wet then you better leave it sitting. It clogs up and just will not mow wet grass period and the mower will literally beat you to death. its the roughest riding machine i've ever been on and we hate it. Get the Ferris. We just bought a new IS 3000 and its the best machine we've ever used. I ouldn't trade our Ferris for 5 Gravely's. The Ferris is a little more money bit its well worth it.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Woods is not the exact same mower as a Gravely, even though Gravely builds Woods machines. The Gravely cut is much better than the Woods. do not compare the Gravely cut quality to the Woods cut quality. It is not a fair comparison. disclaimer: I am a Gravely dealer.

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris without a doubt you won't regret it I am slowly converting to all ferris equipment it is smart easy to do maintance faster mowing is great. All the different stuff I have owned I am convinced Ferris is the only way especially for the price. But dealer support should be a factor, does it fit your needs and what do you want test both of them.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I do not know what all the differences in the deck are. It would be neat to have them setting side by side to do a little study. I do know, that something as small as a 1/4" change in deck depth, or baffle placement, or deck pitch, can make a major difference in quality of cut. Just ask dixie Chopper. They made some minor changes in their deck design a few years ago, and are still trying to correct the problems that those design changes caused.
    Depth of deck may very well be the reason the Gravely cuts better.
    Woods is really a very minor player in the ZTR market. I don't even know how they stay in the market, or why they want to be in it. They have had various other people build their mowers over the years under contract. Woods is well known as a brand that is nearly impossible to get parts for on a timely basis. That goes for most any product they build. Many farm equipment dealers around here, are Woods dealers, but do not push Woods products. This is because they know they will not be able to get parts. This situation seems to have gotten worse since the last time Woods changed hands.

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Your right. Woods is just a minor player in the marker for ztr's. I guess they just want to stay in it because Bushog is making ztr's so Woods is forced to I guess to stay competitive. You absolutely right about parts. Thats another bad thing about our machine. When it goes down it will be down 2-3 weeks.