Gravely 260z vs Scag Turf Tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Woodward, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Woodward

Woodward LawnSite Member

Gravely P260z 60" 27hp Kohler $8400, Dealer is 3 miles away, does not offer a loaner if mine is in the shop, suspension seat and lights are standard

Scag Turf Tiger 60" 25hp Kohler $7900, Dealer is 45 miles away, offers a loaner if mine is in shop, add 300 for seat and 100 for lights

I have narrowed my choices down to these two mowers, considering price and location of dealer. However I am concerned that the Gravely is not truly and commercial grade mower, if anyone would share their experiences with either of these mowers it would be greatly appreciated.

Exmark-no dealer in area
    Hustler-no dealer in area
    Bladerunner-no dealer in area
    etc etc.....
    Yes I have used the Search option

Thanks alot for the info
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i cant comment on the gravely ztrs, or the scag but i know that gravely makes great commercial mowers, i have a mid 90s pro 50 hydro walk. it has an 18hp kohler with ovr 4000 hrs onit. it still cuts great.i checked out the specs on the gravely zs and liked what i saw. the only thing i would question is the maintenance ferr spindles?? this unit hasnt been out long enough to hear what other lcos think of them.scag also is a great mower i see alot of them in my area. but having a dealer that will work with you is very very important. if youve researced all your options i would go with the scag, just wish the dealer was a little closer for you.
    good luck!
  3. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

Go with the scag, you wont regret it. But if I was you, get the kawasaki Liquid cooled motor instead of that one. I just bought another scag and this one has the 27 Kawasaki. It may cost a little more but in my openion it is worth it. Check out their website .By the way, the scag is a 61" cut not 60".
  4. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

The price on the Gravely is to high especially with no back up from the dealer. Do you know what year the Gravely is, if it is one of the 03's they have made several changes lockable poviting front axel, dual 7 gal tanks, 13 mph ground speed.

I have a 02 260Z 25hp Kohler and paid less then 7 for it out the door.......

5. Powerstride

Powerstride LawnSite Member

I have an 02 250Z and am very happy. I really like the suspension seat and hydraulic deck lift. As for commercial grade.... built as tough as any I've used. Picked it up due to what I thought was a great deal..... VERY happy with it so far 100 +/- hrs.

I think in my opinion $8400 may be high but I'm unfamiliar with the market in your area. However chalk up one happy Gravely Z owner.

BTW, I understand they did a lot of changes for 03' that may have pushed the $$$ up some from the 02's when I was shopping.
  6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Only one answer, SCAG! I have had my Tiger with the 23hp Kaw. for 4 years. Replaced the following, choke cable... thats all.
  7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to say go with the scag, because I have never used a gravely, if you go with the scag get the 27 kawi, it is worth the extra money for sure. That is my mower of choice, have looked at the Hustler Super Z, but from my research it does not cut bahia grass all that good so I will continue to use scag.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have found that we here are lucky when it comes to pricing on Gravely's. I had a guy on here who didn't believe we could get them thousands cheaper even though his dealer was the largest Gravely dealer in the USA!

It pretty funny to me though because we probably have the smallest dealer in the USA :D
  9. Piedmont Lawn

You are correct about the pricing, now for the smallest dealer ? I don't know they run a bunch of mowers through that building but you know thats all they do, work on, talk about, sell, parts and eat sleep and breath Gravely's. I went by today and picked up a set of mulching blades for my 260Z and they were putting a PECO vac system on a new 260Z very sweet setup. The price Junior gave me for one for mine is much less than I have found anywhere else.......:D I just may have to look into one this fall.

I put a lift master on my 260Z several weeks ago and just love it. Takes just a minute to put on and is easier than using ramps plus you can change blades in the field :p

10. Piedmont Lawn

Front pic on the ground....:D