Gravely 272 Z Power Fault

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by OtisM, May 11, 2008.

  1. OtisM

    OtisM LawnSite Member
    Posts: 3

    Gravely 272 Z Kaw Watercooled Model 992074 Ser# 102
    Started getting "Power Fault" error last summer occasionaly. If I went ahead an started eng, let it run a few minutes, then shutoff an restart it would go away. Also, Eye-Q would show charging voltage 8.4 at first, would slowly climb to 14.8. I might add I questioned dealer when I first bought it about the voltage being 14.8, he said that was normal, but that's what it showed from day one. Anyway, last week when I first started it for the yr it started doing it again, so I went an bought a new battery. Did same thing with new battery. Now for the weird part, I don't normally wash the engine, it stays pretty clean, but sense I had spilled some acid while replacing the battery I drove it out in the yard an gave it a good bath. Was letting it run at idle, voltage was showing 8.4, blades would not engage, got it wet enough that it died. When I restarted it everything went to working fine? Have tried unplugging all the connectors an cleaning them, nothing seems to have an effect. Any suggestions on where to start looking? Also, does that Eye-Q Comp have anything to do with voltage, or is it just a time tracker? Thanks.
     
  2. MountainTech

    MountainTech LawnSite Member
    from Ozarks
    Posts: 3

    > Gravely 272 Z ... Started getting "Power Fault" ...

    Did you ever get a cause and solution for this? It sounds like *exactly* what I've been struggling with this week, and I'm at a loss so far. Thanks!
     
  3. OtisM

    OtisM LawnSite Member
    Posts: 3

    Yes and No. Seems they had a leaking problem in the computer <water> and redesigned it later. They stalled me around till it was out of warrenty. My fix was to buy an adapter plug they sell for $6.95 <you unplug computor an plug this on the hareness.> It bypasses the computor and everything works, just no more computor. I miss it, but not bad enough to pay the $600 they told me it would cost to replace it. If you take the top off the unit you will probably find the ribbon connector inside very rusty, but the top of the computor compartment is sealed with epoxy so no way to go any farther.
     
  4. MountainTech

    MountainTech LawnSite Member
    from Ozarks
    Posts: 3

    Wow, what a situation! I'm likely to trade-off the $600 and a working computer for $7 and no computer, too. I don't really use it anyway. I hope I can get someone at my dealership to identify the correct part for me, and order it. Thanks a bunch!
     
  5. OtisM

    OtisM LawnSite Member
    Posts: 3

    That's the name of the dealer where i got mine, might email them. It's been too many years to remember the part number, but it is a factory part. Might mention my name as they can lookup on their computor if they can't remember right off. I guess i should go out there an cut the top off of it <sense it's way out or warrenty> and see if i can fix it, lol.
     
  6. MountainTech

    MountainTech LawnSite Member
    from Ozarks
    Posts: 3

    Thanks. I just got back from my dealer, and they were able to look up the part. It's $10-and-change these days.

    However, knowing it would take them a week to get the part in even if they could find it, I did some MacGyvering this morning... I traced the wiring diagram in the parts book, made a guess about what the computer was doing inside (as far as serving as a PTO interruptor), and took an educated stab at solving it (temporarily) on the cheap -- which actually worked!

    For posterity sake, for anyone else who ever finds this thread, here's what I did to solve it until the proper bypass connector comes in:

    • I pulled off the connector on the far end from the computer (aka the end "under the hood").
    • Cut ~3" from a spare piece of wire (of a similar-gague to what's in that harness), stripped and tinned the strands on both ends (I didn't have any female pins to solder on the ends, or I would have)
    • then I shoved the wire ends into the recesses for pins 6 & 7 on the dangling, mower-side plug (shorting the green/white and purple/white wires together).
    • (aside, I could also have sacrificed the harness wire by cutting off the needed connector end, and splicing those two pins' wires together on the stub, just leaving the others terminated. But I thought "some day I might wish to install another computer" and decided not to destroy the harness.)

    The blades started right up with this chance, so I will be able to keep mowing while I wait for the real bypass solution.

    Cheers!
     

Share This Page