Gravely 34Z, Belly up and sunk!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Mar 31, 2005.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Add this to the long list of stupid mower tricks...
    A friend of mine showed me his Gravely today after his worker [familiar with the machine since last year] took it for a dive, literally. He had just cleaned it up.

The guy was told to mow only the flat top of the levee, do not mow the slope.... My friend left to get something, came back, saw worker sitting on the bank.."where's my mower?" Guy pointed to the lake, said he was mowing along the flat next to the slope, got a little close, then down she went...

Lucky the guy wasn't hurt, just a bit shaken. Mower sank out of sight, he claimed it ended upside down in the lake....My friend left him there to mark the spot while he got his tractor to pull it out.....

34z 001 (Medium).jpg

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow talk about submarine races. Just add a snorkle and you could reduce the bottom debris in the lake really fast. My question is did it start?

3. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

that sucks......I never take my 34z on any incline it always want to go straight down a hill or fall over....

4. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

We had a client sink a Hustler MiniZ he had purchased from us. The mower was 2 weeks old and at the bottom of a lake. Tractor pulled the mower out, he brought it in, we drained all the fluids, refilled and he was back and running the same afternoon. Just takes ONE quick slip and :cry:

5. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Man that sucks, I'm glad no one was hurt.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

But I'm sure it should survive..Did it bend any rods??

7. captken

He said he changed the oil and filter after flushing the crankcase. He put a new air filter on and drained the fuel tanks.
    I guess when the guy jumped off, the seat switch killed the power. Both he and the mower got lucky. Mower started right up, afterwards, and the guy driving only had to clean his pants out. :p

I suggested he change the hydraulic fluid.......he hadn't done it yet.

You can see the patch he made to the busted fuel tank from an incident last Summer involving a fence and....you guessed it...a hill.

34z 002 (Medium).jpg

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Looks like maybe he used the rear engine guard to pull it out?

It just isn't the right time of year for swimming................. :D

9. captken

Yeah, he drug it out with a tractor.

He is not happy with the narrow tires.
    He is trying to find a wider tire, but I don't see how you can do it without some kind of offset rim.

34z 004 (Medium).jpg

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Ya those tires are a bit narrow............
    You can get wider rims and tires, or just put a bit wider tire on, but you lose a lot in the process with a small deck.
    Using the same rims you may have to space out the rims from the motors or some such and that becomes a bit of a process as well.