1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely 34Z Mulch Blades Expensive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, May 31, 2006.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like the Gators that the dealer sold to me for mulching so I went back to get some factory mulch blades and they are $35 per blade. This seems like a screwing to me. Aren't 34" blades the same as 60" blades except there is only 2? Anyone know of any online stores that sells them cheaper? BTW the Gators leave a strip of uncut grass down the middle every time.

2. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

i am running into the same problem. My dealer sells the stens brand for $19 per blade. They are very close in shape. You could also contact Mowingman on this site. He is a gravely dealer. I think his oem blades were about $20 per blade plus shipping. I was going to try the gator blade but now I may not.
  3. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

34" blades are a little shorter than 17" each. 17 x 3 equals 51. Do 52" decks take the same size blade?

Lonnie: I was using the Gators with a full mulch kit and they do cut the clipping up more fine than standards, but like I said they leave a strip down the middle unless you move along at like 1 MPH. They do stripe better than factory though.

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

They are more expensive but also hearder metal IMO! plus they have more cutting area. The gators have a standard cutting size surface whereas the gravely mulchers are sharpened all the way and send the clippings over to the center where the other part cuts it more. They last longer . I modify mine. Starting from the whole the cutting wave goes up then down. well underneathe the up part there is a foil that naturally pushes air down(just the opposite of the end) So I grind some off, because they dont have enough lift in some applications. Now i have a full lenght cutting mulch blade with only up lift! Works for me! I now have an all purpose blade. I can discharge or mulch( close the ocdc) and still have lift. They say the gators are for side discharge mulching. Well the wavies came with my mulch so they are made for closed deck. they leave a good cut also. The only thing probably better would be high lifts but then you wouldnt be mulching.
    oh yeah dont forget to balance them if you try this.

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Usually 3 17" blades come out to 50". you have to account for some overlap as the spindles are of set. So I dought they will work on a 52" deck. they are 17" I have measured!
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Thought I heard somewhere that gravely and scags use marbain for their OEM blades...
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Your stock 34Z blades are 17"? Just curius because we havent measured ours. The stock high lifts produce a great cut for us on our 34Z. Also our Cub commercial Tank M48 uses 17" blades.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Expensive, yes but its not like you need many of them. I can get a little under a season of mowing out of 1 set of blades for my 44z.