Gravely 34z on a Florida swale?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scapegoat, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I hear nothing but good things about the Gravely 34z from Southern LCO's, except for it's slope slipping issues. Can it handle the typical residential Florida swale, like this? Or would a 44z be better?

[​IMG]

2. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a Wright Stander 36 and it would handle that swale so easily. Not sure if you are a fan of the Wrights or have dealer support in your area but if you do give em a demo.

3. jtboney

jtboney LawnSite Member

If the grass is dry it should handle this one ok, but that would be about the limit for the 34z in my experience. It is definitely not a steep slope machine.

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Remember the more money your willing to spend the better the product.

5. Scapegoat

Will a 36" Wright Stander take that slope ok?

6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I know Standers hold slopes good, but I would feel safer on a 42" stander than a 36" stander. Wider wheel base means more stability. :)

7. Lawn Sharks

my experience was short but I felt the 36 was great on slopes

it'sgottobegreen might want to offer an opinion as he is a Wright expert

8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

unsafe at any speed [on anything more than an ant hill]....old thread Gravely 34z belly up and sunk!

www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=101659&highlight=34z+sunk
    This dog don't hunt.

9. Scapegoat

Yeah, I've ruled out the 34z. Think I'm going pick up a 36" Stander tomorrow.

10. Lawn Sharks

Let us know how it goes. Be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Stander. I personally loved the machine except for the height adjustment but I cut everything at 3 inches so it shouldn't be a big deal for me except special circumstances. As soon as I get business rolling again after having transplanted to the South I am going to put one of these in my arsenal I believe. Most of the lots her are 100x85 or so and to pull a 60 inch ZTR off the trailer means you end up mowing some stuff about 3 times. Stander is the way to go.