Gravely 34Z or Hustler Fastrack Mini Z ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Psych-O, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Psych-O

Psych-O LawnSite Member

Hey Guys!

New to the site and the Biz. I'm just starting out and currently have a L/B 21" 2 cycle s/p, Stihl FC75 edger, Weedeater trimmer and Craftsman gas blower. I've done 10 accounts in the past 3 weeks and found that I need more speeeddd, but also need to get through 36" gates. I'm looking at the 34Z more than the Mini Z, but would like some info about both from anyone who has had any experince with either machine. Are these machines good choices to start with? I looked at the Toro 32" W/B with sulky, but I think that that mower will work me more than the ztr riders. :help: :confused:
  2. Psych-O

Psych-O LawnSite Member

Anyone There??
  3. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

The fast trac is a home owners grade machine. The pulleys are plastic and the hydro pumps are some of the smallest made. I bought the super mini z and am very happy. I have been told that the Gravely is a commercial grade mower. I do not know this for sure. I hope that this is helpful.
  4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mini fastrak 36" and love it! The pulleys are not plastic! Come on! I had an old Dixon 91 model and the pulleys werent plastic on it. Who told you they were plastic???
    This mower is built to commercial specs, only reason Hustler calls it a homeowner is because of the intergrated hydros. They are rated for 700 hrs.
    Other than that its commercial grade.
    If you mow residential lawns that are 1/2 acre or less than this is a great mower for it. Any more than this and bigger mower would benefit.
  5. Psych-O

Psych-O LawnSite Member

DSIM, how's the cut and ride on it? as I said I like both, but still favor the 34Z. I've seen both at local dealers, but haven't tested either one nor heard them running. I'm new to the biz, but I'm guessing that either one would be a good investment to cut down on my mowing time, and for me to be more profitable. Thanks for the reply.
  6. DSIM

if you do a search on this topic I think you will find several and with pics but to answer your question, the ride is much better on the Hustler because of the suspension under the seat, lower center of gravity (better on hills) cut is perfect.
    The Gravely is almost 300lbs heavier and will leave deeper ruts. I demoed one the day after a big rain here and tore up one of my customers lawns with it. It looked horrible after I got done with it.
    The Fastrak, on the other hand, is light enough to use on saturated grass and still come out looking great.
    I've got about 20 hrs on mine and no problems to speak of. I use this on very small lawns too. My Lesco 32 wb is parked in the garage indefinitely now. :D
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Wanna get rid of you're Lesco?
  8. DSIM

yes I am willing to part with my Lesco. Its a 2000 model with 400 hrs on it and it still looks new. 14hp kaw.
    I would take $850 for it.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I would take the Hustler over the Gravely any day. I have looked at them both. Rode both. Gravely is over built and overly dangerous. Will not hold slopes well and too narrow. Slides while stopping. etc. The Hustler is a very well built machine and is not so compact as to be dangerous.
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Gravely is built much heavier than the Hustler you are looking at. The Gravely is a true commercial quality machine. It is excellent for tight entry areas, like big back yards with narrow gates. THe Gravely will take a beating, where the Hustler will have to be treated a little more carefully.
    Those who say the Gravely is not good on slopes are correct. The narrow frame makes it lose traction on the uphill side on slopes.
    The ride is really pretty nice if you lower the tire pressure to where it should be. The factory manual calls for pressures that are too high. Also, a suspension seat can be ordered for the 34Z.
    If you are into heavy commercial mowing, or if you let hired help run your mower, then the Gravely is the way to go. If you are the only one to operate the mower, and if you are only mowing a few lawns/week, then the Hustler will do fine.
    I am a Gravely dealer, and almost everyone who has bought a 34Z from us has also looked at the Hustler Mini Z at our competitors. They ended up with the Gravely, and felt they were not comparing apples to apples when looking at these two machines. Make sure you have good local dealer support on whatever you buy, and try to get a demo machine on your properties.