Gravely 34Z users, a question (or 2)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tider6972, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I demoed a 34Z Wednesday, and was impressed.

Do you users/owners of this mower feel it needs anti-scalp wheels? Scalping was a bit of a problem for me, though I felt one I could mostly overcome it with experience on the mower.

I found it to be difficult to turn without tearing the turf, but again, experience as well as turning very slowly can probably eliminate most of this issue.

Do you have any other issues with the mower?

Overall, I was impressed with the unit. I was able to get into a large back yard through a gate which measured 36" and which otherwise I would have to have cut with a 21.

Have any of you added a Donaldson type air cleaner?

Thanks for your input !

Steve

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

C'mon, Gravely guys, I know you're not ALL working too hard to be on 'LawnSite" !?
    :D

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have demoed one, and know 3 people who have them. I liked the 34, and the guys I know who have them said they really cut nice. Turning can be an issue, and you have to practice so as not to tear up turf. They are so narrow, that I think you get some weight shift when turning fast, and that causes wheel spin. Scalping was not a problem for me. I was cutting at 2 - 2 1/2" .If I had the need for a narrow machine, I would not hesitate to buy one.

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

is an lco, and I demoed the little Gravely z at a open house at Gambrell Equipment in Memphis this Spring....

I thought a small ztr that would fit through a 36" gate was a great idea. Flat land only...

He was impressed enough to buy one.

His rational was that for backyards, where he would normally use his JD hd-45, was that he would rather ride than walk...

However, he does not like the rough ride,

wants to change tires...

because

he said with the narrow track and high center of gravity, it will NOT hold a slope....

tears up turf turning...[maybe a learning curve there]

It put him into traffic, mowing a small slope, uncontrolled and unexpectedly,....scared him plenty....

wants to add rops....

enough to want to have them fabricated....

He stopped trying to sell his JD hd-45,

uses that for slopes instead of the Gravely....

However, he likes the quality of Gravely enough to consider purchasing one of the larger Zs.

5. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The 34Z is really based on the Gravely Hydro WALK pro mower. It actually has larger tires both front and rear than the pro walk models do.

The fact that the mower deck is so narrow [34 in.] is of course the reason that the tires must set inside the mowers width. The closer in to the center line of the mower frame that the tires are causes the tire to have less levered advantage to turn the machine with. Tires that set way out wide have the longer length of the axel line to the center of the frame that is actually used as a long lever and they can turn the machine much easier.

Narrow walk mowers [36 in] with stand up trailing carts[Velke] have this same issue going on, and it is very easy to spin a tire on moist turf with one of those machines also.

Over all, I think the Gravely 34Z, is much easier to ride and control than the equivelent walk mower and cart, and it has far better traction with its bigger tires and the drivers weight on the rear drive wheels. The ride of the 34Z isn't as rough as a standing cart can be on your legs, but it doesn't ride as easy as a 60" Z with 24x12-12 tires and a long wheel base can ride.

With its narrow wheel base, and the weight of a driver on top, it will not go across as steep of a hillside as a walk mower with NO cart can do it.

Since the driver is on - not behind the 34 Z, plus there are no handle bars sticking out to the rear of the 34Z, it is actually quite a bit shorter than a similar walk mower is, and there for is easier to manuever in tight quarters.

Except for steep hills or embankments, where the walk behind with no cart is much better, but for anything else I would much rather have the 34Z or the 44Z Gravely to ride than to chase a walk mower [cart or no cart] all day long.

6. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

We purchased a 34 this season. We love it. The posts are correct. 2 issues, 1 the bump ride on jobs that are not really smooth. This could be solved with the suspension seat but costs $400 as an option. 2 tears turf if you turn to quick. Practice fixes this in most situations. If you have several accounts that you have to mow with a 21 I would recomment the 34!