Gravely 36" gear w/b users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bagit, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

I need to know the correct width of the 36" deck on the w/b with a mulch plate installed. On the specifications it gives the width, but it's with the dishcharge chute flipped up. The width is 38.12 in. That is to big for some of the gates. Does the width change when the discharge chute is removed?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

About 37.5" - -38" is the width with the chute removed and a cover plate installed.
    Your problem is why most of our customers now buy the 32" walkbehind instead of the 36" model. Any mower that actually mows 36" has to be wider to allow clearance between the blade tips and the deck, plus, you have to add the thickness of the metal in ther sides of the deck.
    Therefore, no 36" mower will fit in a 36" gate opening.

3. mitw44

mitw44 LawnSite Member

I bought the 32" gravely prosteer in 2006, and it has been a great machine. Mows great and built like a tank. In just the last two years, I have come across a half dozen gates that anything bigger would not have gotten through, but it would have been impossible to mow with a 21" mower due to high, thick grass. Why Gravely doesn't advertise this machine I will never know. My dealer won't even stock the 34" walk behind, because he said it is much harder than either the 32 or the 36 to adjust deck height.:dancing: