Gravely 36 vs Toro 36

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TSG, Mar 16, 2007.

1. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Folks
    Need a 36 this year.
    I tried the Xmark Viking 36 Hydro and didn't like it because
    I think it will aggravate my tendinitis.
    I then went to Tor Tbar and Gravely,,,,Both hydros
    The gravely is 500.00 less
    I see a lot of support here for the toro T Bar,,,,,any for the Gravely (split bar)
    Thanks in advance
    Alan

2. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

Go with the TORO!!!!! And go brand new if you can. TORO puts an awesome deck on there mowers, hefty spindles and adjustable discharge baffle. Why the 36"? I'm getting their new 40" floating deck and that will still fit through gates and tight places, but you get the extra 4" to mow with. Time is money. I can't say a whole lot about Gravely, I've only looked at their website and never demoed their products. I have demoed TORO and was impressed. :weightlifter: :clapping:

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not a Quick 36 ?

4. Bolo9092

Bolo9092 LawnSite Member

I am 100% a toro man and love the t bar controls but recently ran a gravely.I thought the t bar was the easiest to run till I ran the gravely and the controls were so much easier.The gravely is a awesome machine also so you can't lose with either

5. Rottman

Rottman LawnSite Member

I just purchased the Hustler TrimStar 36" hydro for $3900. (last years model) I really like the control set up it has with the H-bar. The unit has a 15 hp v-twin Kawasaki engine. No hoses to worry about. The transaxle and pumps are built as one unit. You may want to look/consider Hustler also.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Toro Turbo Force deck on there new walkbehinds give a great cut and with the adjustable baffle you can customize your cut to fit the type of grass you cutting, you cant do that with any other mower out there.

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to get one of the new gravely's but my dealer only carries the riders and says they won't order one unless I want to buy it but I try to tell them I need to demo one to know if i want to buy it. I got to use a lesco that has similar controls and really liked it, felt like I could use it for hours and still feel ok.

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Toro all the way. you just cant beat the cut.

9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Both are really good machines I would take the Gravley over the Toro but that me.
    The biggest difference between them is the steering, Toro has the T-bar system and Gravely uses the Pro-steer which is like mini ZTR Controls.
    Both have their advantages.

For those people that push the "Quick 36" I only have one thing to say "sore wrists" and eventually "carple tunnel syndrome". Pistol grip machines are killer on the old wrists especially after squeezing them for 8-10 hours a day.

10. turningheads

turningheads LawnSite Member

I would definetly go with the Gravely, overall a better machine. All steel build, a Gravely cut is not even comparable to Toro's cut (Gravely=better). Gravely also has better warranty's and is known for a machine that can last. I have had my Gravely pro walk for 6 years now with no problems, looking to get the new model now just because I liked my old one that much.