gravely 4-wheel tractor

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by m0werman, Jun 9, 2005.

1. m0werman

m0werman LawnSite Member

i have an 1986 gravely 4 wheel tractor, and my rear axle seals leak really bad. i have to add oil to it very often. the hour meter reads about 1600. this tractor is primererly used for snow blowing, but i noticed the leak when i parked it on my patio after towing my trailer around the yard full of mulch and left a big stain.

does any one know if this is a common problem and if it is easy to repair.

thanks mike-

2. whitetail

whitetail LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Easy job get the p/n from old seal before starting job or from parts book. I replaced pto seal at same time. Gravely is the best out there mine is 25+yrs old now and is still going strong.. I have a K301s 12hp engine that I made $100 cam shaft grade to.. now I do most jobs one gear higher (use the 18hp ohv eng cam) runs good !!!

3. m0werman

m0werman LawnSite Member

just after this leak began my pto will not disengage, do you think it is because of a lack of oil or it wore out?

btw, i have the 17 hp kohler (2cyl), which cam do you think would work??

4. whitetail

whitetail LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Not sure about your pto.. could be lack of lub go to yahoo Gravely club lots of Gravely owners with realgood info.
    No the cam will not work with your 17hp Kohler. You have plenty of hp with the one you have.. Hehe. The cam only works with single cyc. makes the 12hp about 14/15hp with cam change.
    Get those seals fixed ,fill with good 10/30 oil, adjust pto to specs and it should work. do you have set of owners manuals?
    Come to think about it the pto is a wet clutch so oil is needed for proper operation.

5. m0werman

m0werman LawnSite Member

i dont have the owner manuals for it, do you know of a source that i could buy them from?

thanks mike-