Gravely 460 baffle settings & some pics of stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Erik1981, May 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

The one thing that I have noticed on ALL blades that I have tried. The more tender the grass is the better the Quality of cut I get, when the grass becomes stressed with lack of rain, it really doesn't matter how long the grass is, the quality of cut gets reduced drastically.

2. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

I've never had that issue down here, cuts much better dry when I was using my old gravely but never made it to a new one after being baited for 2012s as 2014s I had to pull out and leave.

Perfectly happy with my 7 Iron Pro amazing deck and cut in all conditions.

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

After reading this thread a couple of weeks ago, I removed the baffles from the newer of my 460's which has the XF2 deck. I believe the performance is improved, especially when it comes to cutting heavy growth. Having the baffles removed also simplifies cleaning of the deck.

I have always used OE blades on all my Gravelys back to and including my first, a 2002 250 Promaster, and have been satisfied with the quality of the cut. I have used Gator blades a few times in the fall to help with chopping up leaves, but do not like the quality of the cut. I might have to give these newer notched blades a try, though.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good stuff guys! Keep posting about cut quality with those notched high lifts.
    I may have to get me some.

One thing I have noticed about the XFII deck compared to my old Turboforce deck on my Toro Z. NEVER, I repeat, NEVER gets clogged with anything. Never have had to scrape once, very little buildup at all under the deck, even when cutting wet grass. No more blades-off/drop goo, like what I had to do with my Toro.

I am VERY impressed by this.

5. Pipeliner542

Pipeliner542 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Gonna bump this, cause I have been scouring the threads for that Exmark blade number and now finally have it! Gonna put a set of them on my PT 260, ordering tonight!

7. Pipeliner542

Not tring to hijack but I have been struggling with some qoc issues with a 472 diesel. And this thread has helped me with adjusting the baffles. The lawn is a new account which is thin and wet or.really wet. Half problem could be they want mowed at 4-4 1/2". Using stock blades currently. Haveing lots of stringers and uneven cut. All things good
    Tire pressure.deck pitched lower in front 1/4" lvl side to side. Seems to need more vacuum to stand grass up. Was thinking of trying an oregon blade 92-035 high lift. Seems not a lot of posted info on the 72 inch decks and blades any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Generally, with decks that have adjustable baffles, having them lower when cutting that high will create more vacuum for you.

9. Pipeliner542

Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Plus, IIRC, the 472 comes with medium lift blades, so a switch to some high lifts may help you a lot too.