Gravely 472 Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Hey Curb-
    thanks for your input/insight. Very intersting to hear what other guys around the country are seeing and experiencing.

2. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just trying to show puppy that hustler mowers aren't the bees knees. They may work for him and a number of lco's that he speaks of, but in general they as a company spend too much time over engineering the durability of the machines and not enough time on refining the things that make us money, like quality of cut. Hustlers may be the fastest mowers on the market, but if I mow a lawn that takes 15 min to mow with the hustler and then have to double cut, costing me an additional 15 min, I would much rather spend 20 min on my walkers and then finish trimming a little earlier. Plus I end up with a nicer finished result.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Check the video I just posted (Super Z Cutting With Speed) and you can watch what real grass cutting productivity looks like. I even did the calculations for you to see the difference speed makes on open area cutting. Most of you will be unable to comprehend this much grass being cut this fast, and with a clean cut when blades have not been sharpened in 65 hrs.

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Puppy is the super z the fastest on the market? Has anyone tested top speed of the cheetah or DC?

5. CurbAppealKS

That is impressive pup, I don't doubt that your mower works for you. I have never seen that much smooth open grass and I never will around here. Too much limestone in the hillsides. Your numbers seem to line up as well, the only thing I can say is when you add contour mowing into that equation the productivity will go down some, based on you not being able to simply go back and forth. However, I have no doubt that you can still average around 6.75-7 acre/hr. The hustler leaves a great finished product on your turf, I just wish mine would do the same.

6. GMLC

That area in the vid would have been a great place for the comparison. Puppy did you get to cut that area with the 472? Taking off about the same?

7. puppypaws

I have no idea, but I can tell you there is a dealer I talked with in person and at his dealership in Kentucky, he was a dealer for Bad Boy, Hustler, Scag, and Dixie Chopper at the time when the Cheetah first came on line. He told me they raced mowers and he carried the supposedly fastest mowers on the market, and the Hustler would always outrun the others hands down.

He also made the remark they all claimed to be the fastest, with Dixie Chopper always advertising that title, and he said it was the slowest of all the four.

I honestly always believed the Cheetah was suppose to be a little faster, but when they put the two side by side the Super Z is the one that comes out fastest from the tales I've heard. I can't prove any of that one way or the other.

You will probably find this a little hard to believe, but I catch myself in many areas trying to push the steering arms forward in an attempt to get more speed. I could cut the area you see in the video much faster if the mower had the speed.

Yes I did, and I'm sorry to say it looked nowhere that clean and smooth, and I was almost breaking the steering arms on the Gravely trying to get it to move faster.

8. GMLC

Ok. Good to know on both parts.

9. puppypaws

So, after looking at the video and numbers which don't lie, which mower that you named above is capable of doing what you saw with your own eyes, which one would you believe could even come reasonably close?

10. CurbAppealKS

In my opinion none could do what you showed in the video, on your property. I have no problem saying that. Also in my opinion the one that would come the closest both in speed and quality of cut is the ferris 3100 followed in a close second by the Deere 797. The Deere excels in the the cut department over the ferris, but lacks in the speed/comfort department. The ferris has an acceptable cut and faster more comfortable ride allowing it to surpass the Deere in my mind.

With that being said, none of the stuff I have ever cut or ever will cut has looked like your property. If I still had access to the ferris and had the extra cash I would ship you and your machine up to a property of our mutual approval and kindly hand your ass to you. This is meant in a light hearted, joking manner, I'm on my phone so I don't have access to any of the smiley things. But in all seriousness, unless a property looks like yours the super z is a waste of money for the vast majority of people who cut for a living. The speed simply cannot be utilized.