Gravely 472 Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Jul 10, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I was going to say... The 5400's are massive transaxles. Infact they have less than a 1% warranty claim rate. The are extremely strong and reliable. I dont recal how much oil I added when I serviced mine but I will look it up when I get done today. They are a different design than the hyperdrive but are still heavy duty.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

This is all well and fine for speculating over, but all the Z's made today have extremely good hydro's in them for high hour lawn care. What you keep posting about is not lawn care at all, and therefore you should be looking in a totally different direction for what you want.

Pulling two towable mowers? That isn't lawn care at all. It is field and/or ditch mowing at best, and is a totally different game and discussion, and there are better heavier duty machines for that purpose.

Instead of keeping on posting about what you'd like to see, why don't you spend the money and make it, and I mean the entire machine from front to back? Then you could sell the idea/design to whomever you choose and be set for life.

3. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

What you have is fine for a standard Z but the Hustler has a whole nother level of drive, it can pull a 2500 or 3000 pound machine at speed with no problem with the right wheel motor setup.

The pumps on the Super HD will pump like 25 Gallons of Hydro oil a minute, I researched it and the Hyper drive is way more heavy duty than anything else but it does not mean it is alot better only that it can do much more work load if need be, most do not need a drive that heavy.

If you are like mowing steep inclines all day or like pulling a load like tow behinds it would show you real fast how much better made it is, you would more than likely have boxes of 5400's going out to just changing fluid on a Super HD.

That system will run some serious wheel motors and handle like a 50 or 75 HP motor with no problem.

The only system I know that could possibly surpass it is the 3100. :)

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The hydraulics operate very well on the 472, little different feel than the Super Z, and respond a little faster, but it did not take me 5 mins to get the feel, and it operate great. This entirely depends on the feel a person prefers, nothing more.

I had the seat air pressure jacked up to high, once I lowered the pressure it improved the ride considerably. The shortness in comparison of frames, and the standard forks definitely make you feel the bumps a little more pronounced on the 472.

The finish I consider to be as good as I've seen on any mower, and probably better than most.

The conditions I've been cutting in this morning were bad, already very wet from the rain yesterday, and rained on me several times this morning. The news said Charlotte which is 20 miles away had 5" of rain this morning in 2 hrs, causing severe flooding across their area.

These pictures are when I started this morning, and as you can see the clumping is very evident. I was forced to double cut most everything today.

One must remember, these are severe cutting conditions, as bad as it will get in my area. This is not doing the cut justice, and I feel with a few changes it can be improved on the cleaner cut side, I'm not sure the clumping can be resolved in wet conditions. Here again, it also has a great deal to do with the grasses being cut, pure stiff blade southern fescue would look totally different than cutting the junk I'm dealing with.

The VX4 will definitely fan the grass much better, yes, it will leave larger clippings on top, but they will be evenly disbursed, which in return gives a better overall look.

GRAVELY 472 CUT (7-11-13) 001.jpg

GRAVELY 472 CUT (7-11-13) 002.jpg

GRAVELY 472 CUT (7-11-13) 003.jpg

GRAVELY 472 CUT (7-11-13) 004.jpg

5. GMLC

Adjust the baffles or take them right off for wet conditions. It should fan that discharge pattern right out for you.

6. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler is pointing the direction on taking Z's to the next level of industrial type Zero turns to bridge the between Lawn mower and tractor gap. More people are realizing that a Super Duty Zero turn system is more productive overall than the big tractor.

These machines would be used in mowing huge park areas as well as miles of light road way areas where they cut the grass like every 2 weeks to once a month. Not interstate mowing but it could do that.

I mow a rest stop on the interstate and work with a guy who does some of the common area with me who works for the state and he has a Super Z as well he uses and he feels just like me that there is a good market for a Super Duty Z with duel wheel capability and that can pull small tow behinds.

He wants one to where he can run a tow behind off the side for one instance to go around a big lake so he does not have to weedeat it as much.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I went back to start mowing and another terrible storm has arrived, a great deal of lightning strikes, and it is pouring rain.

Well Mick, I began cutting in your type grass a few minutes ago (Signal Grass), the grass was about 12" tall and wet, wet, wet. The 472 wanted absolutely nothing to do with that type grass, it was spitting out large globs, and I'm talking about the grass being so moisture laden, the deck could not discharge over 2', it was rolling big wads out from underneath the deck, just a flat out terrible mess.

The 921 never sputtered, and if the rpms dropped I could not hear or feel it happen. I'm talking the deck was rolling out globs so big I could have picked one up and half filled a 5 gallon bucket. I was looking and wondering how it could get out the discharge opening.

I don't think there is a mower made that could come close to fanning the signal grass I was just cutting, if you've never had any experience with this crap you honestly can't imagine what it's like. This grass originated as a forage grass in Australia, and it hold moisture like no grass I've ever seen. Google signal grass, it's bad stuff.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That I could see as being a good idea, and it would help keep the Z up on higher/dryer ground where there'd be less chance of sliding into the water, or sinking in where it is extra soft.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

puppy-
    can you use a level and check the tire height for me on the rear of both machines? The Gravely's look to be noticeably taller the the ones on the Hustler in your side by side pics. Also, did you check the PSI in the Gravely's? It's all too common for them to come from a dealer set way to high from/for shipping purposes.

10. GMLC

Nothing like that up here!! Puppy any opinion on the isolated platforms and the vibration dampening?