Gravely 472 Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Jul 10, 2013.

1. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow that sucks, but glad to here it's getting taken care of. Most mowers have some type of lever on the hydro unit to put them in a neutral state. Check your owners manual, look for something like transport mode or something like that in the manual..

Look at 12 in this link. I think this might help if not I think you could always take the drive belt off & should roll that is unless something is just really messed up in there..

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/5400_BLN-0014_P2.pdf

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. g8tor38

g8tor38 LawnSite Member

Thanks Weaver, I will look that up. Yeah my dealer called me the week I took delivery of the unit and told me they were recalled. Friday he left me a message and told me the replacements were in and to drop it off when I could but I didn't realize how bad it actually was until the right hydro lock up right next to the wifes Volvo XC90tonight, and there it sits. Thanks for the info.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Watch this and you'll see how-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQIk4HhTmVU

4. weaver

Ya they'll get you taking care of. As far as I know you're the only Gravely guy that got a recall & there were several on here that bought theirs around the same time as you.. I saw some Bad Boys got recalled though...

5. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Towards the front of the pumps under mower on inside there is a nut to loosen to release it into neutral. It think it is an allen head but I cant member.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. g8tor38

g8tor38 LawnSite Member

Thanks Dog, the release is actually a flat screw driver slot , however due to the severe damage this caused internally the hydro is seized and won't move. I suggest that if anyone has the recalled hydros that you park it until you get the parts or your dealer can to fix it.
    The hydro oil leaked all over the lower painted parts so I will be interested to see if it destroys the paint. This is my personal mower and I purchased it because my old mowers paint was peeling off so I decided to put the money out and get one that would last. I won't be happy if the paint is damaged with only 5 hours on the unit. I love my 472 and want it looking good for years to come. Thanks for all of the help guys.

7. weaver

Back your trailer right up to the mower and use a winch or come along to drag it up on the trailer..

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

The hydro oil is regular 20W-50 so it shouldnt hurt your paint.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The oil want affect the paint, just aggravating to get clean. You can take ether and spray the oily parts enough to accomplish runoff which removes the oil. I keep a case of spray starting fluid (ether) on hand at all times, I've used this for years on anything with grease or oil, it will break the oil down and move it off the intended target, it then dries almost instantly with no damage to paint.

You can lay a piece of cardboard underneath the mower, then take ether and spray until you see the oil moving off the mower and onto the cardboard. You will need more than one can, and depending on the amount of oil, you may need several. The liquid composition of the ether will allow it to run into cracks and crevices and remove the oil better than other cleaners that are more harsh to paint.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I do like the lower ROPS height on the Gravely as well. Its well below your head height, less of a chance to snag tree limbs on the thing.