Gravely 472 Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Jul 10, 2013.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The Gravely's tires are 2" taller, my dealer and his people are a step ahead of most. The gentleman that delivered the mower told me he set the tire pressure at 14 lbs.

2. puppypaws

You hear people talk about how clean their decks stay, well to give folks an idea of how bad conditions truly are for mowing in my area right now, this is a shot under the 472's deck with only 2.1 hrs on the mower.

This is a new slick deck, so this will show I cut in some very bad situations at times myself, and wet is what causes the most problems.

When you see this on a new deck, and hear people say they don't have buildup underneath their decks, there is only one reason, they are not cutting in situations that promote what is seen in this photo.

I honestly had no idea you could see a deck build up that quickly, but it also shows what I'm talking about with how different signal grass can be. The guy's in Australia can relate to this, it is their grass causing this problem.

As "Realsloww" says, it's not always easy cutting in the berry patch. I cut a large amount of grass, and in all type situations for my area.

I have a mapping program I use, and I really did not know how much grass I was cutting per week. I used the mapping program a couple of nights ago to calculate the acreage, and found out I'm cutting over 16 ac per week, and this has been on a 5 to 6 day rotation, until the rain decided it would not go away.

GRAVELY 472 CLOGGED DECK (7-11-13).jpg

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Wet conditions will make things bad no matter where you live, or what kind of grass you cut, no doubt about that. The limp northern grasses are even worse when wet though. They can just turn to goo with the wrong blade or pitch etc, and goose rass or crabgrass stay loaded with water all the time. Goosegrass is the worst thing I've ever cut. I've cut that in bone dry conditions outside, yet still had a spray coming out of the chute when cutting that stuff.

puppy, try taking those front baffles completely out. It should at the very least improve the QOC and reduce the build up unerneath. I also believe that a higher lift blade would produce more airflow and get the clippings out before they get beaten to a pulp under the deck and stick to it like that.
    I checked Oregon's site, and your SZ blades are not interchangeable with the Gravely's (The Gravely's have the same center hole, but are longer. Not sure how much difference there is in the center hump that the Gravely's have vs the SZ blades). Too bad. You could have tried your higher lift SZ blades to make a comparison.

4. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

These Z's would not be for your average LCO, I get stuck and have got to be real careful about where I go on some jobs and the guy who cuts the other common area at the rest area with me was stuck on his Super Z last week and had me try and pull him out and we both got stuck where as if he would of had a duel wheel Z he could get the work done but he can't so it makes a tremendous amount of weedeat work for him because the mower sinks in the mud when it rains.

He is always getting stuck, he wants this setup worse than me.

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup, Ive had so much build up above the baffles you cant even see them. I take them out when its wet like that. Then the deck self cleans pretty well.

6. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

It may take a while for him to save up his pocket money for this :dancing:

7. puppypaws

I haven't look that closely at the baffle, what does it take to remove it?
    I don't want to get too involved with it not being my mower.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Just remove the nuts from the carriage bolts that hold it on/allow adjustment and remove the baffles.

9. greenology

I agree with you on the parking brake feature, its one less thing to do which is so important in our line of work, always getting off the machine to move sticks etc! There are a few other manus that use the same brake system as hustler, so Im not sure why gravely hasn't adopted it & the rest, I reckon they will in time if able!

The Gravely is a very solid looking ZTR, I have no idea what realsloww is talking about!

I must say its a little disappointing to hear the air ride seat is not giving you a better ride then your mechanical seat & FFs. I personally have had no noticeable improvement in ride quality from the FFs on hustlers, I've compared with rigid & also had a completely new set of FFs so they simply don't make any difference in my conditions. Anyhow I reckon Gravely might benefit from some FFs as an option for ppl who might want them!

Its also a shame you don't have the luxury of dry conditions to cut that signal grass, I would be really interested to see how it would cut that grass, without the baffles and with the HLs as the others suggest. I don't mean to be negative but I think even with those things, the deck will stick give some clumping, I strongly believe its due to the narrow chute opening & the ability for the grass the "build or gather" on the rear edge of that chute design.

10. greenology

I could be way off on what Im thinking about the chute, I hope PP will get the opportunity to test the deck in at least some semi-dry grass before returning it. Without the baffles as u suggest.