Gravely 50" mulching kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jul 6, 2003.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I have already asked about this on another thread, but I want to make sure some other people would see this who might know more information regarding it.

Anyway, I am about to buy a Gravely Hydro Pro 50 mower. I have been told that there may not be a mulching kit available. However, I cannot own a mower that doesn't mulch!!!

So first off, do any of you know of any available mulching kits?

If there are none available, could I find a chute cover and just put mulching gator blades on it instead? Would that do an okay job. I have a Sutech Stealth right now and its mulches okay without a kit and just a chute plug and mulching blades, but on really thick grass it is sorry.

Sorry to have the same subject twice, but I can't afford to buy this mower if it can't mulch at all! Thanks.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The mower he is asking about is a Pro 300 50" mower with a formed deck. The reason I point this out is 2 fold. First they did make a Pro 50 but it was a far older series of mowers than the one you're looking at and secondly, they made both fabricated and formed decks for the Pro 300 mower.

You would probably have to fabricate a mulch plate for the deck or trim a little on the discharge opening because it's kinda a funny shape. You would want the mulch plate as close to the right hand blade as possible to reduce windrowing so you have to trim about 3 or 4" off the discharge. There were reasons Gravely developed the Pro G series and the old decks were a large part of it.

3. TROTTMAN

Dang. So would I need to buy a new deck?

Would it mulch well if I just put mulching blades and a plate?

4. TROTTMAN

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Trottman
    your In Luck, they Do or Did make a mulch Kit For Your STAMPED deck Gravely. I have One For this Mower A Pro 150-50".
    John

766400res.jpg

6. TROTTMAN

Where did you find it? I think my series is a Pro 300 50", but it too has the stamped deck. Do you have any pictures of the side so I can see how they pugged up the chute?

7. John Gamba

from ct

I Don't have It Here. I'll Try And Get a Part Number. Exmarks Is Very Similler, With All the Baffles, They Don't Just Block Of the Chute.
    John

micromulch.jpg

8. TROTTMAN

9. John Gamba

from ct

Oh i Got it at a Gravely dealer.

10. John Gamba

from ct

Trottman Thats a pic Of The Exmark's Deck I SAID The Mulching Kit Is similar To That. They Gravely Don't Just shut off The Discharge Chute. They Have Baffles Like Whats Inside The Pic.
    John
    I'll Take a Pick Of The Kit tomorrow And Post it.