1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gravely 52' vs others

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GElawn, Jan 14, 2007.

1. GElawn

GElawn LawnSite Member

I'm starting this spring in western Michigan. Been doing alot of looking at mowers, Gravely seems to be the best bang for the buck. Only doing this part-time, after hours. But with the one maybe two commercial accounts, I should be able to pay for it in 1 season. Debt is a four letter word to me.

So Gravely vs Exmark, Toro, John Deere?
    A side question, do I buy accessories with them, stripper, bagger...?
  2. FTurner

FTurner LawnSite Member

I run a Mini Z34 due to the small size. The properities I do are all gated 36" entrance so I need the small Mini.
    Exmart is a great machine but the price was alot more.
    Whatever brand make sure the dealer will take care of you, if they have a loaner if yours goes down. that will mean alot during the cutting season
    I dont know about Toro not too many that I've seen here
    I have seem a few Deers and they seem to do a good job
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure you get demos before you purchase anything.
  4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Does the mini Z mulch?
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, they have a mulch kit for the 34Z Gravely.
  6. GElawn

GElawn LawnSite Member

I have it narrowed down to Scag, JD, Gravely, all 52" Deck. Leaning toward JD because of the financing, Gravely looks just as heavy duty as Scag. Do you see one any better than the other?
  7. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I run Gravely 148z and I love It. 10 mph forward 5 rev. Same moter pumps and wheel moters as the ex mark.If you go 48 you'll save 1000 and you only lose 4 inch. those for inch could save you alot weedeating
  8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked at a Stander? There usually more productive. I haven't tried a Deere because the Deere dealers don't support Deere's commercial mowers. They all sell scag instead. That might say something...
  9. GElawn

GElawn LawnSite Member

well, I was considering a 757 JD, I have only two commercial accounts at 4 acers apiece. A stand up? Do you mean a walk behind?
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely has financing as well. 6 months same as cash w/ 1.9% after that and 12 months sames as cash. I bought the 260Z but I also tried the 252 and I liked it as well. Down here or JD dealer sucks so I recommend enything but JD.