Gravely 52" Walk-behind Pictures?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Nov 3, 2006.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone have any pics of a 52" Gravely walk-behind. I'm curious as to how much the deck sticks out past the drive and castor tires. If anyone can post a pic other than the one angle shot found on most of Gravely's literature and online that would be awesome. Thanks.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here is an itty-bitty one from a little different angle.

gravely52.jpg

3. jtkplc

Thanks, Envy. That is a small pic. I'd love a head on shot so I can see how much the deck overlaps. I'm exploring my equipment options, but if the deck hangs way over, I'm not sure that it's a mower I should consider.

4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

As much as I like my 48" Gravely, I'd probably pass on the 52" because it does hang over quite a bit. I think it has the same frame and wheel track as the 48's. The wider the track, the more stable it will be.
    In a 52"er I'd have to go Ferris...

5. jtkplc

Yeah, I think all Gravely walk-behinds have the same frame, meaning the rear tires and where the engine sits are all the same. Meaning the 52" would stick out 9" on either side more than my 36" does, and that's no good for me.

And that brings me to another point. I understand companies making one frame to cut down on production costs. However, I think a lot of operators line up their next pass by tire tracks. I know with my own experience with 52" and 61" Wright Standers, I can stay in the tire tracks of the other employees who use the 61" while I'm on a 52". I think a lot of times the overhang and added deck width gets wasted because a lot of operators don't go by where the uncut grass left off and knowing exactly where the edge of their deck is. That's like I also think some guys running 72" really don't benefit as much from them because they don't use as much of the deck as possible, they just line up tire tracks and I know with my Gravely, the frame is the same for the 60" and 72". There is one LCO in my town that I can run over his exact stripes with my 60" and he's using a 72". This is something I've never read anything about on here. I should have probably started a new thread, but it's my thread so I guess I should be able to hijack it. What are your thoughts on it?

6. Envy Lawn Service

I thought John Gamba was running these now?

The full size turf tracers ain't bad in that respect.
    But as Dashunde said... the 52" Ferris has a WIDE rear track... probably the widest.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ive had allot of Turf Tracers and they are a great walk behind.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, that Ferris has a pretty darn wide track width.
    Here's the fixed deck machine....
    [​IMG]

Have you guys seen this other setup though?

DualDrivefloater.jpg

9. jtkplc

How is the overhang on a 52" TT? By the pics on Exmark's site it still looks like several inches? Was it a problem with scalping at all?

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I didnt have any problems with scalping at all. heres a 52" ultracut turf tracer.

218-800 resized.jpg