gravely ain't no walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncarepros2004, May 5, 2005.

1. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

Had some fuel pump issues on my walker and got to demo a gravely 280 i beleive. A monster of a machine. Hardly could handle the beast in a couple tight areas. i found it did best on the street, where i could go fifteen mph. The steering was lame, no grass handling system. Man did i miss my walker after being on this machine for two passes. I set the deck height which is determined by these little weenie peices of plastic that one inserts onto a coloumn as spacers which raise the deck. I set the deck at four inches to play it safe and either didn't cut some grass of scalped other spots. when the call came in the same day that my walker was ready i couldn't wait to pick it up. Get a gravely if you have 20,000 sqft yards you want to mow in 1/2 hr, or a golf course, but i would not endorse getting one of these as your go to mower.

2. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

And now the Gravely Fans chime in.......

3. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would be the same thing if I jumped on a walker for the very first time and mowed my properties the same way I do with my 260z. I would scalp and the mower would feel a whole lot different. You can't base a judgement on a machine only after a few hours of machine time.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

To each his own.

5. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

I doubt it. My yard is as uneven as they come, have never scalped, even at lower settings.

6. NEAL ANDREWS

NEAL ANDREWS LawnSite Member

Is That A Picture Of You.

7. NEAL ANDREWS

NEAL ANDREWS LawnSite Member

Is That A Picture Of You

8. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

Uneven may have been the wrong word. A few rolling hills (some sharp) would fit better.

9. lawncarepros2004

That there is James Brown's mug shot taken after his last arrest in '04 after beaten his ole lady down. I looked pretty similar however after a run on the gravely.

10. lawncarepros2004

True, true I could see the mower ruling in wide open spaces. Seems like riding a mower for a few hours is a pretty could start in forming an opinion on a machine though? They(central oregon work and sport) got one here in Bend, Or w/less than ten hours on it for sale for $9000.