Gravely at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrclean, Jul 2, 2001.

1. mrclean

mrclean LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Stopped into a Home Depot today to pick up some supplies. They had a new commercial mower ( I believe the name on it was something with an "A"). Never saw commercial type mowers in the one here in town before. Stopped a salesperson and he said it was knew. He gave me a few of the particulars that he knew. Iit had a 42" deck, B&S engine, zero turn. That is all I caught (I am going back to check it out this evening.) What caught me is that he said it was made by Gravely. And the price??? $2995. I thought that had to be wrong. Has anyone seen this at a HD near them? Any info? Thanks in advance.
    Max:confused:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The unit you saw was a Ariens.
    Same company as Gravely.
    The unit is homeowner grade, I would not suggest it for commercial use.
    Take the 3k and put it towards something commercial duty.

3. mrclean

mrclean LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks for the response. You are right, I just got back from checking it out. 42" deck, BS engine, 17 hp. Seemed kinda low on the hp. Have been really looking at the ExMarks. Guess I will stick with that choice. I knew it was too good to be true. :(

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

mrclean,
    Use that Ariens for commercial mowing and you will find out that
    inexpensive Z was too good to be true. Your on the right track
    looking at Exmark mowers. I have a Lazer HP 52" and it's a well
    built mower that can handle day in and day out commercial mowing.
    ED

5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

mrclean,
    FYI
    I paid around 3K for my 48" eXmark Metro HP

6. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

H.d. sells lesco mowers out my way.. Charlotte NC. I think MDT makes them

7. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Ariens Company makes Gravely products.

You saw an EZR 1742 which is a very popular homeowner model.

A Gravely dealer also offers a 260Z which is a commercial duty ride on product. I believe there is some sort of special financing thing going on now with these models. You may want to ask.

A lot of people starting out purchase homeowner versions due to cost. I am happy you have chosen to purchase a commercial duty mower. It is best for everyone that you did so.

I would suggest a Gear 15hp Kawa w/48 or 50 fixed deck as a starting machine. The Gravely PRO150 w/36 deck in some areas are selling for $1999.00. Add a sulky for $300 and your rolling.

Barry
    Gravely/Ariens Engineer

8. CTHOM

CTHOM LawnSite Member
    from MO

I have an ariens ztr and it runs good, it is my second one. I ran the first one for two years, and i liked it so much i got a new one three weeks ago. But i usually only cut for home owners 30 accounts a week. But i can't wait unti next year i will be getting a new 260z.;)