Gravely baffles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ax Man, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone tried the tall grass/bahia baffles gravely sells?
    I wonder what the difference is from the one that comes on my 252z?
    Or has anyone changed thier baffle? I get pretty good buildup between blades, particularly at the front of the deck, so I think there isn't enough airflow.
    Iv'e tried double blades, so don't take me down that road, just packs it in faster.
    Thanks

2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a Gravely with what they called Bahia baffles. I have bahia grass on my place and let me tell you it is TOUGH stuff to cut. It makes great hay and I have cut and baled quite alot of it in my time. When cutting with a cicle bar type cutter, it wears out knives and guards quickly.

Unfortunately there was very little bahia grass where I was cutting with it. What I did not like about it was that the discharge came out in one very fine stream like it was being shot out of a hose. It made for a very distinct row of cuttings. It was almost like they were wind rowed for baling.

I don't know if there was anything else under the deck besides the baffle that you could see at the discharge chute, but I really was not impressed.

Like anything else it all depends on what you want to accomplish with it.

Hope this helps,
    Doc

3. Ax Man

Helps a little, how deep was the baffle? The one on mine is nearly as deep as the deck.

4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the baffle was as deep or almost as deep as the deck itself.

Hope this helps,
    Doc

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I run mulching baffles on mine. Never get build up.

6. Ax Man

Yes sir it does. Thanks