1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

gravely belt drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jannan, Jul 24, 2000.

1. jannan

jannan LawnSite Member

I just received a call to look at a used(300hours)Gravely 50" belt drive walk behind.Not much info on it yet.Was bought new this year for around $2600. I can get it for $1500. Was wondering if any of you have had any expieriences with these machines(good or bad)

2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I have experience on this machine and no I don't like any belt drive unit. It's $1,500.00 down the drain in my opinion.

3. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

I have used Gravely mowers exclusively for over 10 years. Have a Pro-50 and Pro-40 Walkbehinds both belt drive and very reliable. Only problem is when the belts get wet. If it is a double belt drive I hear the traction is beter. I never cut in the rain so traction is not an issue with me. Also have a Pro-60 out-front rider that I bought in 95 that runs great. Remeber if you do your daily maintenance your machine will last a long time. Good luck.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

<p><font size="1">Edited by: Evan528

5. Evan528

gravely makes very good walkbehinds. I have the 150 series 36 inch belt drive with a 12.5 kawasaki engine. It is now 5 years old and i have not put a penny into this machine exept for maitenance parts (oil, filters). The cut quality is outstanding and the machine is built very strong. i say for 1500 bucks go for it! I have no trubble with belts slipping exept when it it raing very hard. The 150 series is not too heavy but the 200 and 300 series are way to heavy for a walkbehind if you ask me.... but that because there built so heavy duty!

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Gravely Pro 150 50&quot; machine. I will not be buying another one. The machine is fine as long as you don't mind double cutting every yard. The 50&quot; deck design that Gravely uses for these machines dates to the early 70's at least. If you encounter wet, tall or thick grass you might as well leave the machine on the trailer.

7. Evan528

i dont no about the quality of cut with the 50 but i no the 36 cuts beutifly! Its strange when one companys machines can vary so greatly quality wise....

8. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Richard try using a set of high lift blades. I was experiencing the same problem until I switched blades.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't run the machine in question but gravely is very popular in my area. common complaint: belt slippage even in wet dew conditions.<p>my lesco has very little belt slippage problems even in the rain.<p>GEO

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Chip, I presently have high-lift blades on the mower. I have tried just about every kind of blade available. Factory blades, Gators, fake Gators I got online and the high-lifts I am presently using.