Gravely brush mowing pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLM, Jan 21, 2001.

1. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

I'm wondering about pricing for mowing brush with a Gravely. I picked up a Gravely(30" brush cutting) this year to supplement my lawns. Whats the verdict one the cost of brush mowing? Thanks Jon.

2. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

i intend to buy a dr field mower this spring. i'm gonna start at 25 per hour for about 1 foot and under, over 30.00 per hour. i do bush hog mowing now with 6ft. this is a guess, may have to adjust charge. will probably charge 45. for first hr. and then hourly rate. maybe we can help each other on what to charge.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Around here they were charging around $75 an acre a few years ago to mow empty lots with a 6' brush hog.
    I hope this helps.
    Eric

4. jimsmowin

should've been more clear get 50. per hr. for 6ft. can mow 2-3 acers per hr. the other pricing was for 26" dr field mower with first hr at 45 and then 25 or 30 for 2nd hr and beyond

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone had any experience with these "DR" field and brush mowers? I know all their other epuipment is on th lightweight side as far as durability and construction. However, the field and brush mowers (atleast the larger models) look like they're built rather well. I wonder how they compare to say, the Billy Goat?

6. jimsmowin

good question. i know a guy who has cheaper one does well, but he does not use it a lot

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I know, you see these things on the commercial, and the tractor part of 'em look like their built like a Troy bilt tiller.

8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Bachtold 8hp/26" brush mower. I have cut brush taller than I am in one pass. Tall (waist high) thick grass can be cut in one pass as long as the blade is sharp. Bachtold used to make the 24" DR, and is a good machine. The DR has come down in price, but mine was still cheaper, (less than $1200) I recommend you get a lot of insurance for this type of work. The design of these mowers is such that they throw things easily. It's hard to see debris in grass or weeds this high, and the type of people who usually let a yard get this way usually leave things in it for you to hit. I have broken several things, and run over many others. No prize poodles yet :eek:, but I'm trying. Also, if you plan to trim these yards also, I'd get a more powerful trimmer. I use a Husky 232L, but the big Shindy is good, so is the HD Echo. I'm using my old 5x10 trailer to set up a rig just for this type of mowing, so I don't need to load and unload twice every time I get a job.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So, are these DR's made by someone else NOW, does anyone know?

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

for what it's worth, I'd never quote an hourly price. no way am I gonna quote an hours worth of work and wage when I can get the same money or better for less time.

GEO