1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely clutch problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MONINAMONEY, Jul 5, 2012.

1. MONINAMONEY

MONINAMONEY LawnSite Member

Hey guys I took my gravely in for a rattle in the clutch and they ended up replacing the clucth and clutch stop. After I started mowing i noticed that the mower was leaving small strips of grass uncut, i was cutting tall grass so i dismissed it as the grass was way over grown and my blades needed to be sharpened. So today as i was removing the blades to sharpen, I noticed a grinding or very strong friction noise coming from the clutch. I removed the belt and tried to spin the pulley by hand and it barely spun. The clutch is off and the mower is off. I guess i'm asking if the clutch pulley is supposed to spin free until the clutch kicks in and do you think and this drag is the cause of the strips of grass?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, The drag and screech you heard is the brake side of the clutch disc. When off the clutch acts as a brake to stop the blades quicker, When switched on the brake releases....

3. MONINAMONEY

MONINAMONEY LawnSite Member

Great! I thought I would need another clutch. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device