Gravely Commercial Opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Apr 27, 2008.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Let me begin by asking your forgiveness in my posting a thread that's been discussed before. But doing a search, I did find one long thread but it was primarily about the Gravely homeowner line.

For those of you who've been using Gravely commercial mowers, give me all the pros and cons, what I should be looking out for, etc.. If you've seen a few of my postings lately, it appears I might be dropping out of the Hustler line. I sold my 60" SuperZ and for the prices of a new 54" SuperZ, I figured I had to at least look around at other options.

My fellow North Carolinian, Albery, mentioned Gravely's and I did a little researching. Looking at specs. on thier website, I'm impressed. They are not at all popular around the Raleigh area and honestly, I only recall one company running Gravelys that I've seen on a regular basis. But the main dealer that sells Gravely here is a well respected outfit and I'd love to check them out.

I'm looking at the 252XDZ, 260XDZ, and the 266XDZ. I love the engine line they offer and it sounds like that deck they run now is right on the money; a large complaint I had with my SuperZs. I mainly cut tall-fescue but I do have a few bermuda customers and bermudagrass and zoysia in Raleigh are getting more and more popular everyday.

So again, please pardon another "what do you think about these mowers?" thread. I'm supposed to demo a Deere 820A tomorrow or Tuesday but the more I read about their troubles here, I must admit I've never heard of such problems about Gravelys.

Thanks everyone.:)

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I did a review last season on my 52" Gravely with a XDZ deck. check it out if you can find it. But for a few quick pro's. and con's. .....Pro's- the price was about 600 bucks cheaper than any other model in that class, cast iron spindles, the suspension seat is very comfortable, it cuts very well, the bagging system is very, very good. And the deck seems to clean itself out very well. Con's- In my opinion its a little under powered, my 52" came with a 23hp Kawi. I think it could use a 25hp kawi or even a 27hp Kholer, no fuel guage (which isnt a big deal), and the bagging system was a PITA to put together (IMO the dealer should have done that) and one other thing, the blades are a little pricy, at 33 bucks a piece x 3 blades...ouch! The only other thing is parts and or accessories take awhile to get in, that might just be a dealer issue tho. All-in all I dont regret it at all. Our area is flooded with Exmark and Scagg which are great machines but a little over priced.

3. lawnspecialties

Thanks nobagger. I especially like the part about the decks cleaning themselves out fairly well. I've not had any such fortune except with my little 717A.

As for the power issues, the 252XDZ comes with either the Kawasaki 26hpLC or the Kawasaki 27hp air-cooled. Hard to beat there.

I'll try to find that post. Thanks again.

4. lawnspecialties

I found that thread, nobagger. Good review.

Anyone else?

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have come to the conclusion the 23 kaw is gutless. The 48" Cub Tank we just sold had the 23 kaw and it would bog down very easy. Our old 48" lazer hp that we now use as a backup mower has an 18hp kohler and nothing slows it down. Our new gravely 160Z has a 25hp kohler and I have put it through its paces this spring in some nasty deep wet muck and nothing has slowed it down yet.

6. lawnspecialties

Just bringing this thread back up.

I'm getting a demo 260 XDZ with the 27hp Kawasaki this Saturday morning. Looking forward to it but still waiting to hear from Deere on when the 820A will be ready for me to check out.

7. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

My 23hp has never bogged down on me and I've taken her to hell and back.

8. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh:Gravely does very good here, but it isn't the most popular for some reason. I like the large front tires and smooth cut. Lawnboy must have bypassed Southern Ky on his way to hell because we can definately bog the 23 hp down here.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Heck I could bog the 23 kaw on our 48" Tank pretty easy. Im not sure but it might have had something to do with the huge pumps and wheel motors cub used on those machines. They seemed to draw alot of power away from the engine. Our 160Z has 10cc hydro gear pumps which draw very little. I think I actually may like the smaller pumps better because they seem to have alot more torque than the bigger pumps do. Does that make any sense? 10 mph top speed compared to the 12 of the cub tank but in most cases 12 was to fast for the turf.