1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely compact pro 34 that burns a bit of oil on startup

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ncd1966, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ncd1966

ncd1966 LawnSite Member

I have a 2 month old Gravely compact pro 34 with (22 hours on it) a Kawasaki FX481V 15.5hp vtwin that burns oil on start up.

Its not much just a puff of blue smoke right at the start. Other than that runs really well.

Its in the shop right now, they did a leak down test and said the engine checked out good. The tech said burning oil on start up is normal, which i think its BS.

A good friend of mine has a Big dog with the same motor and his doesn't burn any oil.

Any advice?

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

My 36" 15hp Kaw does the same thing with 10w30. Went back to 30hd.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

You need to top the oil off and see how many ounces it burns in the next 50 or 100 hours. Keep checking the oil thouroghly during this time. I don't think you can determine if is truely burning oil by "blue smoke on startup".

4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Have you kept up with the oil changes?
    Do you change the filter when you change the oil?
    Does the oil have a fuel smell to it?

5. ncd1966

ncd1966 LawnSite Member

I change the oil and the filter at 10 hours. Oil stays full and is clean just like it came out the quart. I'm thinking like in the previous post said might just be the oil itself. I'm using valvoline 10w30.
    I had a car that burn oil with a certain synthetic oil. I switched oils and never lost a drop.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. echo

I'm betting if you go to 30hd you won't have an issue. When I went to 10w30 I had smoke on most every startup but worse after it sat. IMO the 10w30 is too thin.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ncd1966

ncd1966 LawnSite Member

Thanks echo, I think I'll give it a try.

8. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

My pro turn 148 burns a little oil on startup, especially if it's been sitting for a while. I think that's pretty normal for air cooled engines.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. echo

It depends on how much. If its excessive then oil is getting past the seals. The longer it sits the more gets past and burns.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ncd1966

ncd1966 LawnSite Member

I dont think thats normal unless quality control is getting more lazy or maybe the parts are more inferior.

My family and I all have owned all kinds of air cooled mowers and not one of them has done this. I also worked for 2 lawn companies when i was 19/ 20 years old. They both had gravely mowers, and they never burned oil at anytime.