1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely compact pro 34 that burns a bit of oil on startup

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ncd1966, Nov 12, 2013.

1. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Drain it ALL out and save it for something else. Throw some 30 in. Start it up and run it. Let it sit, preferably overnight and when you start it you'll know in a hurry.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Every air cooled engine I own blows a little blue smoke on start up. These include a Troy Bilt Tiller with a Briggs, a Honda tiller with a Honda, 2 John Deere walk behind mowers with a Briggs and a Kohler, an Exmark with a Kawasaki, and a pressure washer with a Honda Engine. I have never had to add oil in between changes and all are using a muliti weight oil.

We need to know how much oil the machine is burning in a specified number of hours.

My Honda Goldwing blows quite a bit of blue smoke on start up but I have had to add oil between changes. My Mercury Milan does not blow smoke on start up but I sometimes have to add a half quart between changes.