gravely core aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by voglernut, Nov 22, 2004.

1. voglernut

voglernut LawnSite Member

I've come across a gravely Pro Aire 27 core aerator that is in almost new condition. I've done a little research on it and it listed for around $2500. I can probably buy it for around $1000. It runs good and is very clean. I don't see where it's an item that gravely makes anymore. Does anyone have any knowledge of this core aerator. Is it a good, reliable machine? Were there any problems with it for them to stop producing them? Any information would help me. Jon.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I will see what I can come up with. I am a Gravely dealer, but have never seen one of them either.

3. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Mowman,

As a Gravely dealer what is your opinion of the Gravely Pro G walkbehinds compared to the competition (Scag, Exmark etc.). I am considering purchase of a Gravely Pro G. For 2005, I have heard that Gravely is going to change the deck height adjustment on their fixed deck walkbehinds from the current pins to spacers on the front castors. Do you know why they are making this change? Are they changing anything else? Should I wait for the new model?

Thanks

4. Mowingman

from Texas

I really like the Gravely walkbehinds, that is why I sell them. They have a lot of features you don't get on other models. As standard equipment, you get big rear and front tires and wheels that will float through soft areas. You get an hour meter, electric clutch, giant fuel tank, and each machine has the quick adjust pins for the deck. I can not believe Gravely would do away with the quick adjust deck pins. It is much easier to use than pulling spacers out of the front casters, and with the Gravely system, you do not mess up your deck pitch when changing deck height.
    Also, I feel that the Gravely Pro Steer is one of the best steering systems avail. When I was mowing, I had both pistol grips, and "T" bar machines. The Gravely is much easier to control.
    I am going to a pre season showing of Gravely machines, so I will see what changes they are making. I do know that the 32" WB is going away, and it is being replaced with a 34" machine.

5. Four C. Landscaping

Four C. Landscaping LawnSite Member

Mowing Man please tell me where the showing is (a trade shoe or a private showing). I have a pro 150 36" and I love it.It has been very reliable and I would buy another in a heart beat. payup

6. Mowingman

from Texas

Four C,
    It is a show for dealers in the Dallas,Texas area.

voglernut,
    Gravely made two models of this aerator. One was model 994001, the other was 994002. I can not find any info. on the dealer website. I called Gravely, and a service rep. said they only made them for a couple of years. Part of the machine was manufacturered by Broyhill Company.
    Gravely has NO PARTS for those machines. Maybe someone from Broyhill can help, if they are still in business. Last phone number Gravely had for Broyhill was: 1-800-228-1003
    Good luck.

7. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Mowingman,

Thanks for your reply. When I was told that Gravely was changing to spacers on the front, it was in a conversation about the new 34" walkbehind. I agree with you, the pins seem to be the way to go. Hope they don't make that change. Also, their walkbehinds seem to be very well made/designed and reasonably priced.

Thanks.

8. voglernut

voglernut LawnSite Member

mowingman,
    thanks for the information. i think i will steer clear of this aerator. i would hate to not be able to find parts for it. i have to make my decision on this machine tonight due to it being auctioned tomorrow. this is why i like lawnsite. somebody somewhere has an answer or advice to whatever questions you might have. thanks again.

9. Mowingman

from Texas

Glad to help out. There is a lot of good info. shared on this site. :)

10. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

not to get off topic but, gravely has some of the best engineered stuff around the one i have is extremely nice and for the price it is built ten times better than any toro which is so over priced. head to head it has twice as many features as the toro for less money. i just picked toro as an example im sure its better than alot of other brands also :cool: