Gravely dealer falling down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Gravely PM 260Z. Love the machine. However it developed a hydraulic leak in the reservoir after about 90 hours.
    The dealer put a new reservoir in and said she is good to go. Well now 35 hours later I am having grinding and shimeying in the hydros when I turn to go up hill and surging when I stop.
    I completely cleaned the mower then took the it in 3 fridays ago, the mechanic let it idle for 45 minutes kept the mower til Wednesday and declared no hydraluic leak could be found. I re-explained the problem occurs under load and turning up hill and I don't know that it is leaking other than the goop all over the reservoir. I took back the mower to do my larger properties on Thurs and Friday. Bring it back on Monday.
    They decide they need to do a pressure test of the system, but don't have the tool to do it and need to wait to ask the owner if they can buy one. Apparently it is "expensive". The owner is on vacation and not to be disturbed. Send me home with the machine on thursday mow.
    They then decide I need a new hose of some sort by "talking" to Gravely tech support. New hose is ordered, but wrong one "comes in". Now I am on my 3rd week of this and will be using it again after the week end. But the problem is getting worse with each round of use.
    She is still under warranty for the next year, but with this kind of "help" what good is a warranty.

Any suggestions?

I am going to the gravely site in a sec to look for another local dealer.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try to contact Gravely directly and tell them about the piss poor service you are receiving from one of their dealers. Tell them to handle it or you will never buy another one of their products.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Bingo-----------------------------------------

4. Precision

I looked and the nearest dealer (well actually 3 of them) are all 30+ miles away.

I know one of the dealerships and they are good guys, but through city traffic we are talking over an hour each way. So that is 4 wasted driving hours plus being out the mower for however long.

I called Gravely and one of their techs is "talking" to my dealer.

Aside from general ineptitude, it really bothers me that they would sell hydro mowers but not have the equipment to work on them. I am surprised that Gravely would even let them without hydraulic tools.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd march in there and tell themthey've been beating around the bush for 3 weeks and your fed up and if they don't get the problem fixed and real quick you'll never darken their door again. Thats what i'd say. I wouldn't put up with their crap. If they can't repair the mowers they shouldn't be selling them.

6. Classic

Classic LawnSite Member

Gravely dealer support in my area is very weak too! The better commercial dealers don't carry Gravely around here.

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

When I walked into the Gravely dealer here, I was not impressed with the store itself nor the man behind the counter. Just seeemed a little shady to me. Needless to say, I didn't stay long.

8. Precision

I really like my mower. but I think the problem is this guy is in his late 60's and is trying to sell the shop. So any extra inconvience or cost is strongly frowned upon.

But dummy is driving his business into the ground so He will get much less for it. % of revenues and all.

9. malojeer

malojeer LawnSite Member

I use to be a hydr. tech. It sounds like internal pump or motor problem.
    The only tools they need to test your machine is gauge and adapter, not expensive. Sounds like they have no one who knows hydros.Find a hydralic shop and explain your problem they should be more helpful.They could a least give you their opinion. Might be a bad filter.

10. malojeer

malojeer LawnSite Member

sound like they didnt bleed the pumps properly.Does the noise and grinding come from both sides? Does it seems to pull more on one side? A bad pump or motor will normally act up only when hot and under a load hence the problem on a hill.