Gravely deck pitch adjustment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnmaniac883, Jan 27, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi all, I am done cutting for a few weeks and was going to give the deck pitch adjustment a go seeking improved cut quality. I am also going to level the deck side to side. Can someone tell me how to do this? It looks like you just loosen the bolts that hold the chains a little, set the pitch and tighten back up. BTW mower is a 44Z

2. lawnmaniac883

Ok, I just measured from the tip of the left blade to right blade, btw gravely's mulchings with deck set to 4.5:
    Left side:4''
    Right side:4 1/8''
    Measurements from the bottom of spindle bolt left to right are alot worse than 1/8'' off...

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The blade tip is where you measure from. If you are only off 1/8 inch, that is not bad for any mower. You could have a blade slightly bent, or the floor could easily be that much out of level.
    Do not worry about the setting not matching the exact cutting height. You will be lucky to find any mower that has settings that match the actual cut height. I just remember what setting gives me the height I want and use that setting.
    It is not easy to describe exactly how to set the deck level and pitch. However, get it near level from side to side, before you try to adjust the front to rear pitch. I usually set the blade tips down on wood blocks measuring 3" in front, and 3 1/4" in the back. Then adjust all the chain hangers to match.
    and, yes, you move the bolts in the slotted holes until the chains are carrying the weight evenly with the deck where you want it.

4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

just make sure you are on level ground, but do what denton said, use blocks of equal size and add 1/8" - 1/4" spacer on the rear and tighten up chains.

5. lawnmaniac883

I just switched the blades over to standards for a better reading. Are the blade tips supposed to rest on the blocks or just touch them? thanks

6. lawnmaniac883

OK, just got everything tightened up, instead of cutting blocks of wood, I shimmed the front of the deck with steel shims and 2x4's.

Front to back, pitch is a perfect 1/4''

Left blade tip when pointing towards the front = 4'' dead on with deck adjustment set to 4.
    Right blade tip when poiting towards the front= 3 7/8''.

Is that within tolerable limits for deck settings or is this a redo? Looks pretty good to me, let me know what you guys think.
    Thanks...

7. Mowingman

from Texas

Well, that is pretty close side to side if you are within 1/8". It would be nice to have it right on the money, but this might be due to a slightly uneven floor, or even a slight difference in the blades. I would be tempted to leave well enough alone.

8. lawnmaniac883

My sentiments exactly, I figured that if I go about trying it again, the results may be worse. This is still an improvement from what it was set at. Will be able to see if that is too much pitch when I start cutting again. Can always work on side to side levelness again if I need to adjust the pitch.

After rereading your post, is the pitch supposed to be positive or negative??? I guess what I am wondering is should the deck be tipped up, higher in the front or higher in the back?

9. Mowingman

from Texas

Higher in the back.

10. lawnmaniac883

LOL, no kidding? Mine was higher in the front before I messed with it...LOL. Back to the garage for me.