Gravely Design Flaw?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ormond32176, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would love it if someone could tell me why on earth this deck would be designed to where you have to take the spindle off to be able to replace the deck belt. It is too close to the height post to fit on there. I have tried feeding it on, taking a hammer and a block of wood to push it on, and everything else I could think of.

I might end up taking a dremel and grinding 1/16" off so it will fit on if nothing else works easily.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

What model is that?? Jeez, that is unforgivable right there...wow.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

get your grinder out and make some room for the belt, see my tagline.

ericg likes this.
  4. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Start the belt on the left side of the pulley and put your left hand on the pulley holding the belt partially on. With your right hand hold and pull the belt that is on the right so it pulls the pulley clockwise with the belt seated in the pulley. It should roll on. I tried I hope you can understand this.

5. Ormond32176

Tried it already and it didn't work. I was able to put it on backwards and twist it on. Now I am starting to think my POS dealer ordered the wrong belt because I can't attach the spring from the idler pulley to where it belongs (too short maybe, but same width). Good thing he closes at 5 and keeps no inventory...

6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

You'll never get the spring on the idler like that. Take the belt off the other spindle, put the spring on the idler bracket, route the belt around or behind your idler (wherever it needs to be0 and walk the belt back on the spindle pulley. Viola, you'll have tension on the spring!

7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I just hook a looped rope over the end of the spring and pull it into place. Pretty easy on the prostance 148.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  8. Ormond32176

I got it on, but the idler pulley is jumping around. Think it just needs some more tension?

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It is probably so it won't slip off when disengaged, because the belt still spins several revolutions when you disengage it and if it comes off the pulley you can plan on pulling the cover off so as to slip it back on, almost every time too, think of doing that all day and suddenly the solution of having to remove and reinstall one pulley to replace the belt doesn't seem so bad.

New belts almost always need to be re-tensioned.
    It is best done with the engine off and the belt engaged.
    A belt tension gauge might come in handy as well, but who has one of those...

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Prolly needs greased or oiled, usual culprit.
    Check the pulleys for damage or debris stuck in em.