Gravely Front mower,loss of power??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikekl, Apr 22, 2005.

1. mikekl

mikekl LawnSite Member

I posted here earlier about a gravely promaster 30H front mower that I just bought,Well the rain fianally stopped and I cut my first yard with it,about 2 acres on a slight slope.I wasnt too impressed,this property is slightly sloped and I used to cut it with a 48" 14hp metro and a velke,it took awhile,but the metro pulled me along just fine.I am a fairly big guy and was always impressed the metro could haul me around without any problems,Anyway the gravely had a very hard time on the smallest of inclines!!!The tires werent spinning it just wouldnt go anymore,and I would have to reverse and get a running start or choose another path,Given it is 2WD,but is has a 30HP diesel,The engine is running fine,all fluids and filters are OK.It must be the transmission,cause when it starts to loose power,it starts making a loud (trying hard) noise,but that noise is common on most hydraulic drive systems,isnt it? I remember helping a guy years ago that had a Kubota F2400 front mower with 4x4,and it got stuck in a fairly easy spot,but his tires were spinning,just couldnt get traction.Anybody have any suggestions? I always thought these mowers were unstoppable,Exmark would love to hear a 14 hp metro outpowers a Gravely 30hp diesel!!!!!Thanks for any help. Mike K.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Sounds like the hydrostatics are weak. I would try changing the hydro system filter/s, and oil. That might make a difference. with that old of a machine, it is also possible that the pumps or wheel motors need rebuilt.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Here is a quick test you can try on the hydro system. Get the machine on a concrete surface somewhere and move the front end against a wall, or post. Then try go forward with the engine running full throttle and see if it will spin the tires as you push against the post or wall. It should easily spin both tires. If not, you most likely have a problem with your hydro drive system.