Gravely Gr 1548 FxP is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by daveyo, Mar 22, 2005.

1. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I am in the market to purchase a walk behind, I narrowed it down to Gravely walk behinds. Is this a good deal, Gravely GR 1548 FxP model 988115 belt drive, 15 hp 48" cut with pro steering it's an 04 brand new 7g steel fixed deck 6.6g tank 3/8" wear strip 16x6.5 tires for $2895.00 told me to come in and we can talk a deal.

David O'Donnell

2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a good deal, I paid 3K OTD in 2002 for mine but it's a floating deck. Sounds like a good deal to me. It's a great unit!

3. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

It's not a bad deal. The only thing that would concern me a little is the 15 hp on a 48 deck. Other than that, good luck with your purchase.

Greg

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer, and that is a good price. The 15Hp is plenty on that machine, with power left over.

5. daveyo

from N.J.

Thanks for the replies, I will go in tomorrow, it's supposed to rain all day here. I'm going to run a sulky behind it so I was thinking the 15hp would be good. Do you think 15hp on that deck will give me any issues? Also, I heard of belts wearing quick, I asked the dealer about this, he said he will ask their mechanic of this issue.

6. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Make sure you play with it(pro-steer) in the parking lot before you buy, I know quite a few guys who bought it and hate it. Other than that gravely is awesome walk behind

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Prosteer is a very easy system to operate. When new, it may be a little over responsive, as the belts need to get limbered up. It is very easy to adjust the sensitivity on the controls. Some on the Prosteer walkbehinds, within a certain group of serial numbers, had a problem where the belts stretched, and the pulleys on the drives were not shaped correctly. They would not pull worth a darn after just a few hours use, and you could not adjust them to tighten up. Gravely came out with a retrofit kit, which the dealer will install under warranty. It includes new belts, pulleys, and pivot assemblies for both sides. Have your dealer check the service bulletin against the serial number of the machine you buy. If it is one of the included machines, he needs to put the upgrade kit on it to avoid future problems.
    The Prosteer system is one of the best walkbehind systems avail. in my opinion, and I have owned and/or used the pistol grips, "T" bar, and ECS equipped machines over the years.
    One reason I sell Gravely instead of other brands of walkbehinds, is that I think the Prosteer system is the best steering system on a walkbehind right now.

8. daveyo

from N.J.

Thanks again for the info I will do a test run and ask the dealer about that issue. Your timely responses and comments are gretly appreciated.

David O'Donnell

9. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowingman is right, there is plenty of juice to run the 48. I run mine with doubles and pulling me on a proslide and it still has power to boot.