Gravely Homeowner 34'z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by True Harbor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

A dealer told me some guys have been buying these and using them commercially and they've been holding up. What do u guys think about this idea. I know it voids the warranty but I'm only cutting about 3 days a week. I dont want to invest in the 5000 dollar commercial 34z so its either this homeowner model a 34' gravely pro steer g walk behind or 32' snapper single hydro walk behind.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Then go with the Quick 36 with the KAW engine and for like $2600-$2700 you have a true Commercial Hydro walkbehind.

Remember on the homeowner models.....there is a REASON the maker will only warranty them for 90 days if used commercially......you should be able to guess why that is. If you are cutting say just 5 lawns a day for those 3 days a week, those three days use wear wise are equal to 15 weeks use as a homeowner mower.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer. I would not recommend the homeowner 34" machine for 3 days/week of mowing. It will not hold up. If you were doing maybe 5 or 6 lawns/week, yes, it would probably get you by for a year or two. But, not 3 full days/week. That machine is designed for maybe an hour or two of mowing/week. At that level of use, it will last many years.
    Buy a commercial duty mower. You can buy a Gravely belt drive, 34" commercial walkbehind, and a riding sulky for about what that little homeowner machine will cost, and have a machine better suited for the intended use.

4. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Whats the average life for a well maintained Gravely hydro 1752 Fl ? Got one last year and I'm hoping it lasts for a long time

5. Mowingman

from Texas

What is a 1752 FI? I don't think Gravely makes a model like that. Are you sure it is a Gravely?

6. one man gang

from N. In.

Um that's what it says on the mower and the manual and the reciept. It's a pro series model # 988109 HR 1752fl

7. Mowingman

from Texas

Ok, now I know what you are talking about. In your earlier post, you keyed it in as a "1752 FI". There is no such machine. It is actually a "1752 FL" .
    That was a good heavy commercial machine. With proper care, it should go 2000hrs from what I have seen of those commercial machines.

8. one man gang

from N. In.

I wrote l(L) but I didn't cap. but thanks for the reply. I hope to hell it lasts longer than 2000 for what it cost. You say your a dealer, ever hear of Burkes Gravely in Valparaiso In.? He's a thief.