Gravely Hydraulic Deck Lift

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Jun 7, 2004.

Do you like the hydraulic deck lifts on gravely?

1. Yes, I love the deck lift

13 vote(s)
  2. Nope, Dont like it

3 vote(s)
  3. Dont know..Havnt used it

8 vote(s)
  4. I wish my mower had it!

4 vote(s)
  1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a gravely and i love the hydraulic deck lift...

How does this feature fair with everyone else. Please back up your vote...If you vote no you have experience with it? If you vote yes..Why?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Could you please explain the Hydro deck as I have not seen one and don't know what it does. I have a Toro with a foot pedal to raise the deck. Is this what it does and if so how is it different.
    Trevors, Please don't take this as a negative post, I'm just looking to find out what the benifits are. Thanks
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

i read all the time people whining and crying about how long and hard it is for them to change their deck cutting height. I would be pissed if i had to spend any time going from 3.75 to 3.25 inches..

4. Trevors Lawn Care

The hydraulic deck lift uses a hydraulic pump to raise and lower the deck. I push the lever down to lower it and pull it back to raise the deck. I can go from 5 inches to 1.5 inches in about 5 seconds without removing myself from the machine..While i am still cutting..
    Its a time saver. I also use it to prevent scalping in an area i know i normally would scalp even with a floating deck.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the foot pedal, which I prefer. While the electric- hydro is o.k., you have to let go of the controls and raise it up, so doing things like going over hills, tree roots, coming out of ditches, and things like this are just not as fast and easy to do. I have the Lazer with the foot pedal, so doing these things is a breeze. It also raises and lowers the deck alot FASTER. As far as adjusting the height, well, for as often as I do that, it takes me about 3 seconds to pull the cotter pin, reset the main pin, and re-insert the cotter. I just like the mechanical better - there's alot less to go wrong.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I like the foot lift for all the reasons that Runner says. Also, on my JD 757 the cutting height is changed by just turning a knob to the desired cutting height. i don't believe it could get any easier.
  7. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Well I like mine.
  8. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I love it because I can adjust on the fly, if it is deep and thick, I can bump it up a bit then re mow that piece and leave no clumps.
    Another handy feature for these parts is the ability to lift the deck quickly when you are sinking in hidden wet spots(really wet)
    Third, it is so handy to lift the whole front of the mower when it's time to work under the deck. Thank you Dave Ariens!
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Kubota ZD has hydro lift. Its great as Trevor said, when cresting a hill or going over a rough spot you can just reach over a lift the deck up a little or a lot. And the deck will stay where you lift it to. The ZD uses a knob to set the cutting height. Try holding the deck up a half an inch or more while driving with a foot or hand operated lift mechanism.
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Next year, the Gravely ZTR's will be offered with, or without the hydraulic lift. Many folks do not want to spend the extra money that it adds to the cost of a machine.