Gravely hydro vs. Bobcat belt drive

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by peteny567, Feb 26, 2004.

1. peteny567

peteny567 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I am considering buying a commercial walkbehind for cutting my 1 acre lawn. There are some gently sloping hills and only a small patch of steepness behind our house. I can get either a gravely hydro or a bobcat belt drive. The gravely would only cost me about $300 more. Any thoughts on which I should choose?

Also, I have a number of small trees scattered about our lawn together with a number of beds and one of the things that I'm concerned about is that the hydro may be more difficult to maneuver (i.e., I wouldn't have the belt drive's luxury of being able to let out the belts and pull or push the machine a bit to get a better cut along irregularly shaped objects).

Thanks,

Pete

2. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

as far as i'm concerned there is no comparison of a belt versus a hydro. hydro's no worry about changing gears, putting in reverse, belt wear. no comparison especially with only 300.00 difference. i would buy the hydro!!!!!

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You need to demo both machines. The Bob-Cat will produce a better cut in my opinion. One acre once a week or so? The belt drive is almost bullet proof. The hydro on the other hand, has a lot of high dollar parts. Hydro is more suited to someone working it all day. Granted, it is more maneuverable but is quality of cut what you're after?

4. peteny567

peteny567 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. But can you elaborate on what you mean by better cut?

One of the things I liked about the hydro was that it allows for almost a zero turn capability without "smashing" the lawn at the point of the turn like a belt drive does.

Also, my property is a little hilly, and so, I thought the hydro would avoid my concern that the mower could get away from me on the inclines.

Thanks.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I tried to respond to your pm but there was a problem with the site. Better cut, plain and simple. Yeah the hydro turns easier but the belt is not THAT difficult. For me, quality of cut is number 1. If I wanted a hydro, I'd still stick with Bob-Cat. The bottom line is you need to use them both to see the difference. You could have a nice TURNING mower or a mower that leaves the NICEST CUT of the two. Good luck.