Gravely Hydrostatic System

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by broadlandstwo, Jan 8, 2007.

1. broadlandstwo

broadlandstwo LawnSite Member

I have an old Gravely ZT1640. I also have several Grasshoppers. The Grasshopper's Hydrostatic systems are easy to figure, it's all right there in the book, but the Gravely's book doesn't say anything and I cannot find anyplace on it to fill or even check the levels for that matter on the Gravely.
    There are two "air bleed" tubes in the rear near the tires but that is it as far as I can tell.
    Can anyone tell me how to check the levels or add fluid?

:confused:
    Cajun Tim

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Those old 1640's had a sealed system, and are not designed to be serviced.
    While I have not tried this, I think you can add oil through the breather tube location. You pretty much just run those until they quit, then throw the whole machine in the junk pile.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Although I have never added fluid on a Gravely sealed unit I have on another brand as advised by Tech. Support. They said to add through the vent tube but take measurements and use a long thin blade screw driver as a dip stick. Only add enough fluid but not exceeding 3/8" from the inside top of the unit housing. Doing this will allow room for any expansion that may arise.

4. broadlandstwo

broadlandstwo LawnSite Member

Well those both pretty much answer my questions.
    Thank you.

From your experience, what can I expect the life to be on the Gravely with the sealed H-system? It's back at the shop and I dont have the hours but they aren't low as I recall.
    As of yet it is not having problems (other than an annoying habit of not going fully into nuetral and creeping ever so slightly forward until I get the sticks into the "just so" position, but that is another thread). :)

Cajun Tim

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My guess is that 500 hrs. is about the rated life on those. They are designed for low hour homeowner use.