Gravely/Kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Damian121, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Damian121

Damian121 LawnSite Member

I posted this question on the wrong forum previously. I have an older Gravely Pro Master 50 with a 16hp engine. I am losing most of my power in reverse and some in forward. Any ideas on what could cause this? I read about a gear reduction unit and am not sure if I have one or if that is the problem. The forward/reverse lever seems to be adjusted properly. The Transmission oil is at full on the dipstick.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Power to wheels or power to the blades?????

3. Damian121

I am losing power to the wheels. The blades seem to work fine.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Check your belt tension and the control levers, make sure everything is adjusted correctly.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The Pro Master 50 came out with one style transmission then later with a different style, The older one had internal wet clutches and the later had external dry clutches. Can you tell me which style clutch system you have or post the model number ? Then we can go forth with finding the problem.

Oh, There is no gear reduction box other than the transmission it's self.

6. Damian121

The engine model is a K341. Purchased new in 1989. Not sure if there is a model number for the transmission. To further describe the issue: I have to push the direction control lever as far back as I can and if I am on level ground and the wheels are straight it will slowly back up, otherwise no movement. When pushing it forward I have trouble getting up slight inclines. But it moves forward OK otherwise.

7. Restrorob

OK, I was able to locate what I believe your model to be by the year you posted, Below is the adjustment procedures.

Good Luck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gravely Pro Master Clutch.jpg

Gravley Pro Master Clutch Adjustment.jpg

8. Damian121

Thanks Restrorob, I am sure now that I have the internal wet clutch. It looks like I will have to scrap the mower. I don't think I'm up to taking a transmission apart and I don't think it's worth the cost to repair.

9. Restrorob

Have you tried to adjust the rod from your control lever where it connects to the pivot arm on the side of the transmission ? There should be a spring on each side of this pivot arm with two nuts on each side, One side is for forward adjustment the other for reverse. You still want the forward speed to snap in when the lever is moved all the way.

10. Damian121

Yes, That's the first thing I tried before starting this thread. I thought that it simply wasn't engaging since it would work minimumally in reverse if I pushed it far enough. My manuel say's when compressed they should be at .oo5 gap so I made sure that is where they are.