Gravely Metal Cracked!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Allright I love the way my 260Z cuts and the mower is very rugged, but I have to call it out on this. I just noticed today that there are cracks on the bulkhead that holds the frame, footpanel, and front castor arms together. Both sides have cracks.

These are serious friggin cracks. The pictures don't really show, but the cracks are all the way through the metal, not just the paint.

I also included a pic where the bolt broke off in the deck where the belt cover is held on for the second time! I drilled the first out, I'm taking this one in to get fixed.

The mower has just under 500 hours on it so it should all be covered under warranty. Anyone familiar with this issue? I remember someone bringing up cracks a while back. I can't find the thread now.

Gravely Crack 014.jpg

Gravely Crack 015.jpg

Gravely Crack 016.jpg

2. nboeger4

nboeger4 LawnSite Member

i have a gravely walk behind and today the front left wheel broke off where the wheel connects to the mower itself. if this even makes any sense without pics. lol. and this mower only has around 400 hours on it.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Now your just making Gravely look bad lol. You got to get a pic of this.

4. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Man that sucks. I just bought a Gravely about three weeks ago. I'm going out to look at mine right now to see if it is cracked

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Bob-Cat wb and a Scag wb that have had cracks like that. Tony

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's normal, especially on fixed decks but most any mower the steel will eventually do that,
    one of the main reasons why higher-end commercial models have 7-gauge decks and frames...
    You may notice some lower-priced 'commercial' brands of mowers, always check the gauge of
    the steel because I can about guarantee it's not 7-gauge (i.e.: it's thinner!).
    So that's one of the main reasons why we pay 3-4 thousand for a belt-drive, the gauge of the steel.

Now if the cracks get to be a concern, my 10-year old Toro Wb is starting to get like that,
    you can have it spot-welded just seal up the crack with a weld and gtg.

7. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Looks like the piece that cracked is just a bolt-on piece. No big deal. Now if a welded on piece broke... That's different story.

What gauge is the metal? Looks like 7?

8. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey GravelGuy,

Does your machine have semi-pneumatic (Flat Free) tires up front? How about you Nboeger4?

Q

9. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I guess if you guys say so. I wouldn't think it's normal for a mower that's less than two years old. Fortunately it is just a bolt on piece from the looks of thinks so it should be an easy fix for my dealer. It might only take them 10 days this time:rolleyes: I would estimate the metal to be about 7 when comparing to the deck.

JimQ, No my tires are not flat frees.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE