1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trophytkr, Mar 10, 2004.

1. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

I am buying a 252z gravely mower just ordered it. How many of you guys run gravelys. How do you like them? I looked at probably 10 different mowers and liked this one best.
  2. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

I believe you you be happy with the Gravely. It has a few heatures that the others don't that make it nice. My only complaint with mine are that the plastic spaces for the hydraulic system get in the way. When I have then stuck on the storage rod, and raise the deck all the way, they sometimed get pinched, and I have even broken the handle off of one of them. You'll understand this better when you run it a few times.

All in all though, I love my Gravely. I have a 148 now, but my next will be a 252 or 260.
  3. danno

danno LawnSite Member

I'm running an '03 260. First one but so far so good. Lots of power & plenty of comfort. The hydraulic deck lift comes in handy when you have to change terrain rapidly. You can hold both throttles in one hand and raise the deck with the other on the fly. I wish I had the hydraulic liftmaster for changing blades and the lights for early evening mowing. If yours is an '04 it will have the bigger tires, bigger hydro. pumps, and shorter engine cowling. Just test drove one of those and was impressed that they could improve that much & keep the cost the same. Good luck.
  4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i love my gravely built like a sh*t brickhouse:cool:
  5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a leftover 2002 last spring, a 250Z, last year for the 50 inch. Don't see much point in their change to 52, but what do I know. Anyway, I really like the mower, and although I only put about 100 hours on it last summer, I have had no problems. I bought and installed both the light kit and Liftmaster jack myself. I know the new ones have the lights standard, and on the larger mowers, at least the Liftmaster. The Eye-Q system looks interesting as well. Not sure it is all that necessary for the smaller operator, but could no doubt make it easier to keep up with productivity and maintenance schedules. I have no doubt when I get ready to trade, it will be another Gravely for me.

Also, Grassblaster, I've never had any problem with the spacers getting pinched on mine??? I raise the deck to the maximum height each time I load because of the steep angle of my lift gate using the trailer with my Jeep, but have noticed no problem. Maybe something is amiss with yours. Neill
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They have been our workhorses and top moneymakers. One of my 260 Z machines is going on its 6th season.

They are our identity...we keep em shiny...they are a nice looking ZTR with the engine canopy...and when people see 2 or 3 of them crush a big yard in no time flat, they know who's lawn service it is!
  7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

? I though it was the other way around ? I've seen some crappy brick houses. I could only wish for a brick outhouse.
  8. niceguy

niceguy LawnSite Member

I Had 2 260's untill they were stolen, They are definately workhorses. I clipped a telephone pole last year with the side of the deck going full throthle. I landed five feet in front of the machine I hit so hard. After brushing myself off and checking to see that none of my workers seen this embarrasing mishap. I hopped back on and went to town on the rest of the lawn. Not even a dent. I am replacing these stolen 260's with 252's to give myself a little more trailor space.
  9. thomas34461

thomas34461 LawnSite Member

Hello I just joined this forum as I was looking for information on zero turn mowers. Right now I have a John Deer tractor. I’m spending too much time cutting the grass because of having a larger turning radius. I went shopping at Home Depot (Cub Cadet) and Lowes (Troy Bilt) and they have zero turn mowers for $2999.00 Both 50” cut and about 24 horsepower. I wasn’t so sure of getting these from them so I went to my local Lawn Equipment store and the guy tells me that Cub Cadet breaks down a lot and about the same for “Troy Bilt”. I was thinking of getting a “Dixie Chopper” or another one called “Scaggs”. This place sells “Dixie Chopper” mowers and said that they can be a little rough to drive and that they have a tendency to tear into the grass. Is this true? He recommended that I get a “Gravely” zero turn mower model PM 44Z for $5775.00. What to you guys think? On a “Gravely” as a mower and the price? The nearest Scaggs dealer is some ways from where I live and not sure if I want to make the trip. Then I have been told the Dixie chopper is the way to go hands down. As long as this person has been in the business, he states “I’ve found that Dixie is a far superior mower then a gravely. Dixie Choppers are much smother to operate and will outlast a gravely by MANY years. In his area Gravley is a decent competitor ( selling more low end "lowes" style mowers). But in top end they don’t compare to a Dixie chopper. And Dixie chopper puts the same principals into every machine they build. A Dixie chopper is a machine that when you die, your family will fight over who gets it.”

Doe’s the Gravely” zero turn mower model PM 44Z have the same problem listed in an above post, “My only complaint with mine are that the plastic spaces for the hydraulic system get in the way. When I have then stuck on the storage rod, and raise the deck all the way, they sometime get pinched, and I have even broken the handle off of one of them.”

Also when I was asking the dealer about lights which I would prefer he said no and why would I need them? I think that having lights would be a good safety feature. And from what I have read on this board that having hydraulic liftmaster for changing blades and the lights for early evening mowing is the way to go. Are these features available on the PM 44Z model for Gravely and Dixie Chopper?
    Thanks for any help. :)
  10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2004 260Z and a 2005 36" hydro walk-behind and my only complaint I have is I would like a touch better cut quality. Other than that they are awesome machines.