Gravely mulch kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Aug 7, 2006.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have 36"wb that I am thinking about putting the mulch kit on. Anyone here have one? How easy is it to put on and how was the cut? Thanks.

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a mulch kit on my Pro-H 36" Gravely walk-behind. It probably took me an hour to put it on just because I had never done it before. The cut quality on both of my Gravely machines with mulch kits is pretty good, but the quality goes down when you get in taller, thicker grass and flimsy grass, like in shady areas. To say the least, I'm currently in the process of demo-ing several different brands to compare the cut quality while mulching of those machines to Gravely, so I'm not overly pleased because I have to take a lot of second passes just to get a good cut, not because there are clumps or anything. It's very frustrating. We'll see what I find out with the demos.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Our customers down here cut St. Augustine and Bermuda grass. They say the mulch kit works great on their Gravely walkbehinds. It is kind of a pain to install, as a few of the bolts/nuts are hard to get to with the wrench. It will take you about 45 min. - one hour to install. Be sure and install the mulch blades that come with the kit, or it will not mulch properly.

4. jtkplc

That's for sure. I tried several different blades and the wavy mulch blade works the best by far.

5. spcfoor

jtkplc, I have had the same problem with the flimsy grass as you mentioned. I don't really think there is a remedy for this. It can be so frustrating to make a second pass. Other than that I really love my gravely. Don't know why they aren't bigger down here. The blades that come with are they the gators or something else?

6. jtkplc

They come with wavy mulch blades.

About the cut quality, that is the only thing that I'm not happy with about my Gravely. If I could fabricate an Ultracut deck on my 260Z I would be in heaven.

7. spcfoor

What is the problem with your cut quality? The only time I have a problem is when the blades need to be changed.

8. jtkplc

Refer to an earlier post in this thread....http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1501831&postcount=2

And it does it with brand new blades. It must be a deck design and/or lack of lift problem because I don't read about these problems from other brands of mowers with mulch kits on them. I've read about simliar problems with Kubota's deck and mulching with it, however.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've been looking for someone who knows more about the mulch kits for the newer X-Factor decks....

Anyone?

10. spcfoor

I got the mulch kit today and am now reading the instructions. Did you all have to drill any holes?