Gravely nightmare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bagit, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

A short time ago i got word about a mishap of sorts. It involved a gravely z. Brand new it was. The unfortunate man backed it off the trailer and engaged the pto. CHABANGGG... BABOOOM... I dont know all the gory detailes yet or even the exact model, but i will soon. I think i remember something about the pto clutch blowing and something else going clankidy clank. I am not bashing gravely, infact i think they build as good a machine as anybody. I'm sure any brand name has had their share of problems from time to time. Just thought i would share what i have heard.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

What was the point of this post?

3. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

If i must have a point i guess it would be how much one of these units cost compared to reliability. I understand it could have been a dealer fault. Maybe a loose bolt or rod was over-looked at the factory.

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

True he may have got a lemon, every brand has them, but don't bash gravely if you don't know the reason why.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Are you a lawyer?

6. Jimmy Williams

Jimmy Williams LawnSite Member

We run Gravely 260's and just purchased a 148 XDZ. We love them, but they are like any other machine, things are going to go wrong with them. One of our 260s had a PTO disintegrate about 2 weeks ago with about 400 hours on it. It ended up being caused by a loose bolt. I had noticed a funny rattling sound when shutting down the engine and went over the machine but couldn't find the problem. Now I know to look for that bolt issue. My local dealer said he has seen one other Gravely have this problem. Dealer had replacement part in a couple of days, a loaner machine so we could keep cutting and no hassles. That is why we purchased another one.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I have had nothing but extremely good things to say about Ariens and the commercial machines the offer.
    Certainly the excellent dealer support contributes to my continued purchasing of Ariens products, a fact I have personally told the Ariens Corporation.
    The dealer I work with carries ExMark, Ever Ride and is contemplating Bad Boy however I intend to stay with Ariens.
    The only exception to my all Ariens fleet is one Navigator (soon to be a second) and 4 ExMark 21" walk behinds as some dip wad Ariens engineer changed the design on their built proof 21" walk behind and ruined what was, in my estimation, the best commercial 21" walk behind on the market.