Gravely or Dixie Chopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PhantomMullet, Sep 12, 2004.

1. PhantomMullet

PhantomMullet LawnSite Member

Lately I've been looking at the Gravely 160z 23hp Kaw and the Dixie Chopper XG2703-60 (Coatesville Classic) 27hp Generac. Both are priced around $7500. After demoing both it's still a toss up. Each one had different features that I liked. The Gravely seemed lower to the ground and had the proven power of Kawasaki while the DC had more sensitive controls, quad loop hydro and more horse power. The Gravely also had the hydro deck lift and electric blade clutch while the DC had a manual deck lift and manual blade engagement. What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated.

TJ

2. crazy

crazy LawnSite Member

the company i work for has both the Dixie Chopper and Gravely.

we have 2 260z gas and diesel and 3 dixie choppers.

the main differences i have noticed in the gravelys is that it the deck on the gravely has to be scrapped a bit more often then the dixie chopper decks. maintence wise it seems as if we have been having problems with the hydro pumps on the dixie choppers

the gravelys seem to be also easier to use on hills as opposed to the gravely

hope this helps you

3. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Mullet, I have the XT-3000 Chopper with the 30 hp Generac on it. Here is my opinion. The chopper does sit higher than many other mowers and that may make you come off of a hill earlier than with other mowers. I love the power my mower has however I am not aware of any "Miracle Mower". Mine will clog when the grass is really wet however I do run doubles and I have been in grass high enough that I will have to adjust my speed in order not to stall somewhat. I prefer the mechanical deck lift and blade engagement rather than electric. That is just problems waiting to happen. As for the Quad Loop system it is the best design that I have ever used. That is why most of my friends that use other mowers nearly kill themselves when they get on mine. They are having to apply more pressure to steer / move their machines. The Choppers may not win a beauty contest for their fabulous paint job but when the work day is done you will realize that machine is a money maker. One other most important thing is to make sure you have a good dealer. Without that you will sometimes think the best of mowers are pieces of junk. Fortunately mine is great. He sells 5 different brands and is also the largest LCO in our area and he runs Choppers as well.

4. PhantomMullet

PhantomMullet LawnSite Member

Is that a good price on the DC? I'm not that familiar with them. Also, how are Generac engines compared to Kawasaki?

Thanks
    TJ

5. cgotro

cgotro LawnSite Member

Why don't you go find a Hustler dealer in your area. You can get all the good things you want. 15 MPH ground speed. Low to the ground. great cut. 28 EFI gets better fuel economy than a diesel. At least demo one to compare. We use Hustlers Super Z's and MiniZ's, awesome mowers. Just a suggestion.

6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I own the 27HP, 60" Generac Dixie....this machines beats all. I had to replace the belt from the deck to the engine (I wore it out fast because I am always engaging at full RPM's, which I no longer do) and even that was easy...everything I need to do maintenance wise I can do on my own within 15 minutes...that motor has plenty of speed and the deck cuts awesome. The Gravely's looks pretty good these days too, but I will never stray from the Dixie's now that I have demoed others and have mine Chopper. I am already getting another next year. Not sure where you are, but the Hustler's in Upstate NY don't cut too well (must be the type of grass we have)

7. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I think the hydraulic deck lift that Gravely uses should be standard on all commercial ZTR’s and WB’s. We no longer use stone tires so maybe this will change also. :D

8. chevyman1

Couple more notes...the Dixie's now have fans on top of the spindles to cool and save the belt on the deck longer, and the manual clutch is FAR better than the electric. Break the electric, you have to take it to the shop and spend over $300...break the handle on the manual, costs you $20 and 5 minutes of downtime....

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That's not what the fans are for. Since the Dixie has an adjustable front lip there can sometimes be issues with grass buildup on the front of the deck. The fan's sole purpose is to blow the grass away from the top of the deck. There are no issues with either spindles or belts overheating.

10. chevyman1

Sorry Richard, but that's what Dixie told me that the fans were also for was keeping the deck belt cooler, thus extending life..