Gravely or DR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hillbillymowerman, Nov 5, 2006.

1. hillbillymowerman

hillbillymowerman LawnSite Member

Hi folks,
    I am looking for advice on some equipment for next year. I do alot of brushcutting in the late fall and early spring and I need somthing more than my FS 110 and a chainsaw. I can't decide on a newer DR with its nice newer technology or an older walk-behind gravely in all of its cast iron glory:weightlifter: I do like some of the safety features of the DR but can't get past the belt drive part. I have alot of expirience with older gravelys and know first hand some of the downsides, most notably the infamous quote that most time spent with them you are either chasing after it or running away from it. But I also know the work they are capable of. I would appreciate any input of this matter. Thanks

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Billy Goat and Snapper both make good 26" single blade brush cutters. The BG will cut whatever you push over with it. I'd stay away from the DR stuff from what I have heard. I can give you a number for a guy in Pennsylvania that reconditions and sells older Gravelys. BTW-Welcome to the site! You're not a Marshall fan, are you?:laugh: :laugh:

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

i have not heard anything good about DR. I have used the Billy Goat brushcutter, it's tough and I would recommend it.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the snapper for one reason over the rest. Hydro! The others are belt drive and a pain if it is wet. All in all the DR, Billy Goat and Snapper ar all pretty much built the same. Get the largest engine you can. Don't settle for the 10 hp that is standard.

5. BareFeet

BareFeet LawnSite Member

I live in New Orleans and have been getting jobs so bad that weed eaters and zero turns just refuse to get out of the trailer.This stuff has not been cut in over a year and is a mixture of everything at an average of four feet high plus some debris.
    I got a DR walk behind and it has never bogged down.This thing just looks for brush to roll over....

6. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I rented the Billy Goat brushcutter several times and was impressed.
    If it could bend the material over, it would cut it. Because I rented a
    brushcutter so often, I decided to invest. I bought an old Gravely (80's-ish)
    with a 12hp Kohler, 30 inch deck, single blade. The Billy Goat is a nice
    machine that was always willing to try.... The Gravely, however, would
    eat the 'Goat for lunch. I have no experience with any DR product.

7. BareFeet

BareFeet LawnSite Member

never used the Gravely but I agree that the goat is probably not in the same class

8. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 LawnSite Member

A Gravely, especially a 12 horse is THE brush cutter. I can take down trees, not saplings, trees with mine and it never misses a beat. I have amazed more people with the "antique" than you would believe. For the money look for a good used Gravely.

9. Ronnie Greenwood1

Ronnie Greenwood1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

I don't do alot of brush cutting, but I rented a billy Goat once and it took a beating with pride. I ran over a pretty big chunk of concreat that was hiden and it just choped it right up. I freeked out Thought I would of broke somthing but nope.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The older Gravely walk behinds are not belt driven. I personally think the older Gravelys are the best machine available for brush clearing. The older Gravely with the 7.6 HP Gravely engine is great but the Gravely with the 12 HP Kolher engine is even better. Either of those machines with the 30" deck with the single brush blade will get the job done!

Gravely_Man