Gravely or Exmark ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ryan41, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

Got some huge accounts already this year. I am now ready to finance a zero turn mower. I have done my research and i can't decide between a Gravely or a Exmark 60' Zero Turn. They both seem like they are great machines. my budget is 9 grand. Would like to keep it under as much as possible. I have a few local gravely dealers around. I know of only one Exmark dealer near me and its a 45 min drive. Let me know the pros and cons of each manufacturer. Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

2. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

The new Exmark is bye far the better mower... but if ur money is tight u should probably go with the Gravely..
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I've had good results with Gravely, and have been running them for 9 years. Additionally, see if your dealer is signed up for their loaner program. If so, he'll keep new models in stock to be used only as loaners. Mighty nice if an issue arises that isn't a quick fix.

If you are wanting to stay under $9,000, the 200 series of Pro-Turns would be in that price range, and for under $10,000 you should be able to buy even a new, air ride seat 400, or a Pro-Master with hydraulic deck lift.

4. ryan41

MOturkey - how many hours did you get out of your Gravely? I don't need anything to fancy right now. Still a "new" guy. I do agree i stopped by the Gravely dealer a week or so ago got to test drive the new 400! I am just concerned that if i buy an exmark the service will be an issue.

5. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark has a great warranty but if ur just starting out u probably can get more mower with gravely... meaning mower bagger mulch kit... plus ur gravely dealer is closest...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I typically try and buy the best equipment i can buy so it serves me well for years to come. Dont buy a cheaper product just because money is alittle tight this year. In 2-3 years when your company is bigger your going to wish you went with the better mower. Buy a mower that will last you 5-6 years without any real problems.

I always say the same when people ask me what size trailer to buy, I always tell them to buy bigger then you need, That way when you do need it a year later you don't have to buy another trailer.

7. ryan41

That's true i have a decent size trailer 12'. Not to small not to big. Works perfect for me! Do you think Gravely wont last a long time?

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Im sure it will last you a long time but its no Exmark thats for sure.

9. gwk120

gwk120 LawnSite Member

I have a 2007 Gravely 252 with 3400 hours. I had to replace the motor but have never had a problem with the mower, just a belt every now and then. 1 or 2 idler pulleys. Great mower.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

All high end mowers are about the same......

your only going to get about 3500 hours on the engine.

DO NOT INTERVIEW A MOWER, INTERVIEW THE DEALER......

and if you have several dealers in your area, MAKE THEM WORK FOR YOU..................

Best of luck